[Reader-list] Coprolites and Regurgitaliths

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Fri Sep 14 00:10:56 IST 2007

Dear Zainab,

Thank you for your frank statement about the security you feel in my
company. In the gender identity that I seem to be rapidly in the process
of acquiring on this list, I also feel very secure and safe in yours.
Especially because of the nature of things that I now understand all
women are 'prone to'.

You are right Zainab, there is a class of fecal matter and other related
materials that are very hard to clean. As hard working women, especially
janitors and sanitation workers, and unpaid housewives and other
partners all over the world who have had to clean up after bowls
streaked by careless men know, some stains are really stubborn. But some
deposits (and their depositors) are the true champions in the matter of
adhesion. No cleaning fluid known to man, woman or anything tending
towards either gender pole, can seem to get rid of them. I assume you
know about Coprolites and Regurgitaliths.

But just so that our murky list can have its brief moment of mujun, let
me edify you all.

[Coprolite
–noun
a stony mass consisting of fossilized fecal matter.

Regurgitaliths
-noun
fossilised remains of stomach contents that has been regurgitated by an
animal. They are trace fossils and can be subdivided into ichnotaxa.
Regurgitaliths might provide useful information on the diet of the
animal, but are difficult to relate to any particular species.]

I have of course, shamelessly and wantonly lifted the above definitions
from well known online encyclopaeidae and lexical resources, where I
repair after even I have had one Coprolite too many hurled in my
direction. Just for a moment of temporary respite for my exhausted
toilet cleaning soul.Some toilet cleaners have cigarette breaks, I have
a wikipedia break. You know what I mean.

Do you, does anyone, think there is an extra strong, industrial quality,
fossil crunching variety of Harpic? If anyone does, please do let me know,

I remain, yours in domestic service, and in paleontology

Shuddha, or was it Saddha, (too modest to add Devi to the name)