[Reader-list] How CPM blocked the screening of Taurus

Gargi Sen sen.gargi at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 12:46:58 IST 2007

Dear Partha,
Leave it. To the AR2KP+VD (hope you have figured this acronym out) bunch
anyone claiming to be a Marxist or a communist is a card carrying CPM
member. To their worldview it is not possible to be a communist and not be
CPM (although wonder why don¹t they pull out the CPI, Forward Block and the
n number of left parties!)
So the AR2KP bunch are trying to tell us ­ at least many on the list who
believe in free speech,  even that speech that one isn¹t in agreement with
or does not like or feels uncomfortable with ­ that here is your brethren
doing exactly what you are telling us to not do. And hence, where is your
moral high ground?
Let children have simple pleasures in life Partha ­ even though my 5 yr old
certainly doesn¹t believe in this kind of
you¹re-bad-because-the-company-you-keep-is-bad simplicity ­ I can live
allowing the AR2KP+VD to have their simple pleasures and gleeful gloating.
It doesn¹t bother me what the bunch think of the CPM, I probably think far
worse because of very complicated and messy history and think so with far
more pain.

We had once started to discuss on this list is there a way to measure pain?
Is there any measuring instrument that can measure all our individual pain
and see who scores the highest? As I don¹t yet know of any such device or
instrument but I am still willing to accept that the AR2KP+VD bunch have
been through pain, intense and undeserved pain, unfair pain and endless
pain. But for me to remain restricted to a boundary circumscribed by mere
pain, that too a pain that has been caused 17 years ago, to continuously
evoke that pain and use that pain to not see anything else besides that
pain, is to reduce that very pain to something really terrible.

And its this something-terrible that makes for blinkered visions and
blinkered minds. The blinkered mind of Dritarashtra and the conscious
blocking of vision by Gandhari led to fratricide leading to near
annihilation of the entire tribe/ clan/ community. And so I continue to
engage and debate, even if shit is being thrown up.

Nevertheless my presence on this list is simply as someone who thinks and I
stand guilty of their charge  of an intellectual (I can hear my friends fall
off laughing) and so possibly what I am saying is from the mind and
thought-plane and not the heart and pain-plane. So there¹s a gulf of
understanding and positions, a gulf we can possibly try to cross on this
list, and on such lists only simply for its virtue of being virtual. I am
sure in real life even conversations with them might have been impossible.

Also, I am also somewhat grateful to the bunch for provoking some of the
best posts I have read in recent times. Shuddha¹s post on Hyenas, Tarun¹s on
Panditocracy, Sanjay Kak¹s drawing a ghoulish picture of himself as a
patriot, Vishal Rawlley¹s list of patentables are simply brilliant and I am
not sure these would have happened without the AR2KP+VD. So everything
perhaps has a purpose, however inexplicable, however painful.

Gargi