[Reader-list] Heritage Signage Disappearing

Kath O'Donnell aliak77 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 13:50:43 IST 2007

good luck with your project. I haven't any photos of Mumbai buildings
(have only been there on a stopover) but I liked the signs in Delhi &
Bangalore. most of them seemed hand painted apart from a few newer
printed full-size rollup screens. I always wondered about this. it
seemed to me that there was a whole industry/skillset behind this. and
if they moved to more westernised / printed screens to look like every
other country's city, that people would lose this skill. plus what we
noticed was that India seemed to give more opportunities to people
instead of automated processes (likely for a range of reasons). I
thought this was good that people were given work and could still
produce work with their hands instead of everything being done by
machines.

similar for the handpainted pictures on the rear of the autorickshaws.
(I have a small collection of these on flickr). I might be back in
Delhi later this year so will take more photos then. one of the guys
from work (in bangalore) mentioned there was an area of the city where
you could go and see the signs being painted.

do you know the reason for the change? is it part of westernisation?
automation? or just to clean up the city? for the locals or the
tourists?

it'd be nice if they restored the signs rather than replaced them.
they could market the area as an art-deco (where appropriate) or
yesteryear art precinct. maybe u could start a project to do /
organise the restoration and work with the building developers. or
have an exhibition and ask the locals which they prefer in their city.
at the very least if might help raise awareness in your community.
(not sure if this is feasible for you - just some suggestions)

is it happening in other cities also?

(sorry I'm using firefox on a mac and can only see each of the page
0's on your typocity site - it won't let me bring the other pages to
the front so I can read them for more info)
fwiw I'll post an article on my site about it.
kath

--
http://www.aliak.com