[Reader-list] STOP etc

Shveta shveta at sarai.net
Sun Sep 16 14:22:34 IST 2007

Rahul Asthana wrote:
> I find
> my faculties of expression inadequate to connect to
> passionate people in general and ladies in
> particular;so I had taken a break.

Very few women have participated in the few threads that have dominated
the list in the last few weeks.

But violation of women's body has been a recurring lietmotif and
shorthand for creating an impression about suffering. Or as a metaphor
for explaining the vulnerable borders of territory and community.

And what sense can we make of the above comment? - Women should speak
and write in a way that is appropiate to some already given sensibility
of speech. Cool. When in trouble in arguments lets talk through her body
and when confronted with speech say I cannot take it! ... and these are
all people who claim they are going to bring in a better and ethical world.

In a way lists are fairly revelatory of implicit acceptances... & are
private mail abuses to women list subscribers not a clear sign of how
recklessly these implicits can be performed without any check or
restraint, and very assured that there will be no consequence to it?

best
shveta