[Reader-list] Self determination in Kashmir-reply to Vishal

Gargi Sen sen.gargi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 23:12:58 IST 2007

Dear Pawan,
Your name means wind, actually the god of wind. I hope you are familiar with
all the meanings and metaphors of your name?

Now my name too has a few connotations although no direct meaning except
that Gargi is the daughter of Garg ­ but it has some connotations. While the
connotations are varied and can perhaps be seen as endless, the one meaning
that cannot be associated with Gargi is pure, or Shuddha.  (You often call
him Shaddha which means a death ritual ­ meant as process of purification so
perhaps accepted.)

Now what you can¹t do is call Shuddha Gargi or reply to my post but address
it to Shuddha.

And yet you have done it.

Are you like Rahul squeamish about Œladies¹ and would rather talk to men?
But even if I accept that, why Shuddha, why not the n number of men on this
list? Why not even Vishal whose name is in the subject line?

Are you so obsessed and obsessive about Shuddha that you see him everywhere?
That is called Diwanapan in Urdu/ Hindustani meaning the madness caused by
love (and you know wiser people than me have said that love and hate are but
two sides of the same coin.)  The diwana sees the image of the beloved
everywhere, in everything, and through his love for the beloved he can touch
the divine love. The next step for the diwana is even more interesting, and
Heer did it with her beloved Ranjha ­ Ranjha Ranjha kehti hu mein ape Ranjha
hoi (I called/ repeated the name Ranjha so many times that I became Ranjha.)
So be careful Pawan dear, lest you turn into Shuddha.

And if you want to Œtalk¹ to me, please have the courtesy to address me.

Gargi Sen