[Reader-list] Rama as a kudikaran

chitra s chitravichitras at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 00:46:24 IST 2007

Dear Dhatri,

What do you mean by 'Sarai people'? Tapas Ray is not 'Sarai people'.
I am a member of this list. Anyone can become a member of this list
and read and write.

I also wonder "How do people trust karunanidhi and care about his
words?" and "Is he so kind  and good to reelect again and again?"

But, I'm not sure about this:  "after 60 anybody should be thrown out
of whatever power."

In fact I don't think I care very much for your language. Dhatri,
please use words with care. People over 60 in this country are deeply
respected. Please remember we are Indians and we respect our elders.
Don't you have any respect and regard for our elders, our seniors?!
Its shocking! the Ramayana tells us to respect our elders. Haven't you
read the Ramayana?

So many of our great freedom fighters, notionalists, great leaders of
our beloved country were over 60!!

Bal Thackeray, Dev Anand, APJ Abdul Kalam, Amitabh Bachchan are all I
think over 60!

You cant go around saying anything that comes to your mind. Enough is enough.

Regards

CS

How do people trust karunanidhi and care about his words?  Its our
sadness to see such a person re-elected as chief minister?  The entire
India know about the Jayalalitha episode and later incidents?  Its a
pity to humanity, forget ethics,faith,morality,belief ,mythology
whatever.
  Sethusamudram project is the recovery stunt of the money that he
invested to distrubte colour TV'S during the last election.
  He was a poet during his younger age, just imagine how violent he
used to write and think.  How can sarai people compare karunanidhi and
valmiki.  Let me describe him as a modern day deamon.  Instead of
spending time at VAANAPRASTHA  what kind of governace will he give At
the age of 88. Is he so kind  and good to reelect again and again.
    Actually after 60 anybody should be thrown out of whatever power.
This amendment should be included in the Constitution.  If need comes
and system thinks about to use the experience of the 60 years, then
just upto suggestion level is allowed and implementation, execution
should be in the hands of system.
  Regards,
  Dhatri.

  Pawan,

I am not in VASP, but hope it's still ok for me to offer my two bits.

I am not sure who you think should be condemned - Karunanidhi or Valmiki?

The story at the link you have forwarded says Karunanidhi says Valmiki
called Ram "a kudikaran (drunkard)". If Valmiki did **not** call Ram
"kudikaran", Karunanidhi needs to be condemned right away, no questions
asked.

On the other hand, if Valmiki did, there can be no question of
condemning Karunanidhi, even if you hate his dark glasses or his shawl -
or, as in my case, his determination to destroy the strait's marine
ecology.

The issue of condemnation then shifts to poor old Valmiki who, I'm sure,
would have loved the spectacle of his trial by the censors.

Questions then arise:

What exactly did "kudikaran" mean in Valmiki's time? Did it really mean
"drunkard" as the story suggests?

If it did mean "drunkard", in what context was the term used? (I hope
you will agree that there can be no interpretation of a text without
reference to context.)

If it did, did "drunkard" mean quite the same thing in Valmiki's time as
it does now?

But what does it mean now? For some people, taking a single drink is
enough to label one a drunkard. For others, a drunkard is someone who
is, or is tending to become, an alcoholic.

So, where do we stand?

Tapas