[Reader-list] Intellectuals Operate Again ......

Anirudh anirudhsbh at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 01:01:56 IST 2007

Wow. You echo my sentiments completely. I live in  Ahmedabad, Gujarat and
Times of India, like everywhere else in India is the most widely read
English daily.

Did I just call it a "daily"? It's become more of a polarised tabloid, or a
political propaganda sheet, bent on inciting and preventing young minds to
form an opinion of their own. I would say that I would have personally
preferred to read "The Hindu" or "The Statesman", it's a pity that the same
edition would not be available on the same day.

On the day that the TOI criticized the Modi government (emphasis supplied,
implied etc.), "Is Modi going to losen purse strings for the Pathans?", had
all the distinctive features of a gang-up against Modi. This is not to imply
that Modi is a saint, but the way in which TOI has abused it's position as
the "conscience-keeper" of the society is deplorable.

In case you have not noticed, during one of TOI's highly publicised campaign
to save the Gir Lion from poachers - they hollered that the image of the Gir
Lion can be likened to that of Gujarat, citing many reasons including:
"Gujarat's image as a successful place for investment, capitalisation,
industries etc", while on the same page criticsing Modi for using a
religious guru to "influence voter" (apparently  libellous allegations and
content with dubious sourcing is regularly added by the sheet); and only the
day before they were lamenting about how Modi "misquotes" the development in
the state, when actually there has been no development at all.

TOI sucks. I wish I had something better to read every morning, without the
polarisation, without the exaggeration, without any agenda. Just news,
honest, neutral and giving all point of views. If it were possible, I
wouldn't even use TOI as an asswipe.

--Anirudh