[Reader-list] [Announcements] Join the ViBGYOR Film Fraternity!

Anivar Aravind anivar at movingrepublic.org
Sat Apr 5 11:09:37 IST 2008

*Join the ViBGYOR Film Fraternity!*

ViBGYOR- the PEOPLE'S FILM FESTIVAL
===================================
Celebrating Identities and Diversity

The Annual ViBGYOR Film Festival in Thrissur, Kerala and its associated
activities have, in the last 3 years, become a significant alternative
space for issue based independent films and a meeting place for
filmmakers, social movements, activists and the student community. It is
today among the biggest independent documentary film festivals in the
country and is fast becoming an important event for independent
filmmakers and people's movements. Please visit our site
www.vibgyorfilm.com for details on our festivals and other activities in
the past three years.

The 3rd edition of ViBGYOR was held from February 13-17 2008. Nearly
1500 women and men participated and 175 films were screened at the 3
venues in; Thrissur town, the `Village ViBGYOR' (held in different
centers of Pananchery village panchayath) and `Campus ViBGYOR' (in 3
colleges). This year's edition also saw open forum discussions, a media
exhibition and music performances.

True to its activist traditions, the festival also served as a space to
highlight three important campaigns on the Athirappilly (Chalakudy)
Hydroelectric project, the Chakkankandam (Guruvayur) sewage plant and
the ongoing Human Rights violations in the state of Manipur. 3 films
relating to these struggles were screened at the festival and
representatives from each area spoke to the public and media.

We have been inspired and enthused by the support we received for the
past three editions of ViBGYOR and hope to screen films across the
country this year through a Traveling Festival. We are also in the
process of making the collections of the ViBGYOR Digital Film Archives
available to the general public, with around 2500 films--documentaries,
short fiction, feature-length fiction, animations, music videos and
spots—already in our stack. Depending on the type of membership that
individuals and institutions may want to avail, different services of
the Archives will be offered to them. This membership scheme is an
attempt to broaden the organizational and financial support base of
ViBGYOR.

=/ APPEAL:/=

As with any people led initiative, ViBGYOR film festival has faced
severe financial crisis. In spite of support from local groups,
activists and partner organizations, the local organizers of the
festival have incurred a cumulative loss of approximately rupees Seven
lakhs over the past 3 years. One of the reasons is that the festival in
principle does not accept any corporate funding and has received little
support from Government departments and public trusts. Major expenses
incurred have been for travel, hire of equipment, halls, publications
and accommodation and food for filmmakers and activists who attend the
annual event.

We appeal to friends and well-wishers to join the ViBGYOR Film
Fraternity and thus support this alternative film festival, so that we
can address the current financial crisis and also plan for the future.
There are several ways to become part of the ViBGYOR Film Fraternity:

1. Contribute a lump sum of Rs. 5000 ($ 150 for people outside India)
and be an Associate of the ViBGYOR Film collective.
2. Contribute Rs. 100 a month or Rs. 1000/- as one time payment and
become a Member of the ViBGYOR Support Group
3. Contribute any amount as an individual

Contributors to the ViBGYOR Fund, apart from becoming eligible for
different types of Memberships, will be listed on our website, ViBGYOR
Souvenir, the monthly News Letter and the next Festival Book. They will
be entitled to one Guest Pass entry to ViBGYOR Annual Film Festival and
associated activities. An e-group will link all friends and supporters
of ViBGYOR, with monthly updates on all ViBGYOR events.

We hope to collect at least rupees 10 lakhs towards the deficit in the
past and for the activities we have planned for the next three years. If
you are interested in supporting this initiative, please write a
DD/cheque to `ViBGYOR Film Collective' payable at Thrissur and mail it
to the address below. Or you may directly transfer the money to the
ViBGYOR Collective account (a/c number: 110533, Catholic Syrian Bank,
Thrissur Town Branch). Please provide us with your postal address so
that we can send you the receipt.

Awarding of Membership to the ViBGYOR Film Fraternity will take place in
the near future in a public function attended by eminent filmmakers and
other dignitaries.

For ViBGYOR Collective,
K.P.Sasi (President)
C.Saratchandran (Vice President )
Fr. Benny Benedict (Secretary)
K.C.Santhoshkumar, Anivar Aravind ,Jibu Thomas, T.N.Prasannakumar,
K.K.Sunilkumar (Joint-Directors)
Mustafa Desamangalam, Adv. Lima Ramadas (Depty. Directors)

ViBGYOR Film Festival Office
Chetana, Kalliath Square, Palace Road
Thrissur: 680 020, Kerala, INDIA
Tel: +91-487-2330830/0-9447000830