[Reader-list] Fear and Loathing in Big Cities

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Mon Apr 7 18:53:35 IST 2008

Dear Fatima, Naeem dear all,

Thanks for your posts on pizza delivery and fear and loathing in big
cities, and how New York and New Delhi, when it comes to the sharp
edge of exclusion, can seem like shadows of each other. I recently
saw something in the Delhi edition of the Indian Express that I think
would be of interest to the ensuing discussion. Its about a wall. No,
Its not in Palestine, but in South Delhi. I thought it would echo
(from a different angle) some of the thoughts being expressed in
Naeem and Fatima's posts.

best

Shuddha

---------------------------------------
Great Wall of Kalkaji
Preeti Jha, Indian Express
Posted online: Saturday , April 05, 2008 at 11:51:20
http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/Great-Wall-of-Kalkaji/292736/

New Delhi, April 04 Construction of a five-foot wall to divide a slum
cluster from neighbouring middle-class colonies is wreaking havoc in
south Delhi’s Kalkaji Extension.

Standing in the remnants of her grocery store, Seema Sagar watches as
a young boy jumps from one mound of debris to another, before
precariously balancing on a stray brick. All this to safely cross the
stream of sewage that now floats outside her house.

On Monday, bulldozers razed down more than 1,000 small shops and
homes to make way for a wall that will encircle all three camps in
the slum cluster: Bhumiheen, Nehru and Navjeevan. Four hundred metres
of the proposed 2-km wall are already in place, under construction by
the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) since December. “We are acting
on an order from the High Court,” says DDA’s executive engineer K K
Khanna.

And the High Court was responding to a petition filed by Arsh Avtaar
Singh, former president of Kohinoor Apartments’ Resident Welfare
Association, in May 2005. The petition sought a solution against
encroachment of roads and services by slum residents.

‘Block them out’
Neighbouring middle-class colonies support Singh’s efforts. A flat-
owner from nearby Konark Apartments, who does not want to be named,
says: “All my life savings have been used to purchase this flat. For
22 years I have lived with the stink from open defecation, and
constant over-crowding from blocked roads.”

Residents want slum dwellers to be relocated in ‘pukka’ housing. “I
feel bad for them,” says Singh, whose own domestic help lives in
Bhumiheen Camp. “They should be given an alternative home immediately.”

But the DDA claims it needs time to relocate the slum dwellers. “The
wall is a temporary arrangement to offer protection to flat owners,”
Khanna says.

In the interim, Daliwal thinks the wall should be built higher. “It
should be at least eight foot high, and built either with bricks, or
grills and mesh. There should also be fewer outlets.”

‘Livelihood gone’
The camp’s residents, though, are fuming. “We were given no warning,”
says Sagar. She claims to have bought her grocery shop for Rs 20,000
rupees 13 years ago. “I make Rs 50 a day, through which I cook for my
family. We have nothing to eat today without my shop.”

Trying to salvage broken chairs and cutlery from his former
confectionery store, Izhar Ali asks, “What should I do to earn? Can
the government give me an alternative?”

As an MCD employee sprays mosquito repellent into stagnant water
forming pools around the newly homeless, Kamla Ujhain forlornly
watches her grandchildren eat in what used to be a bathroom. “We knew
it would close our businesses,” says Maya Devi, peering outside her
shop, now shrouded by bricks. “And what if there’s a fire?” asks
another shopkeeper, Naresh Kumar. “It will be much harder to escape
if we are contained from all sides.”

DDA’s Khanna, meanwhile, insists there will be several entry and exit
points in the wall. “There are more than 17 gaps in the 400-metre
stretch built so far,” he says.

DDA has a May 21 deadline for building the wall.

Shuddhabrata Sengupta
The Sarai Programme at CSDS
Raqs Media Collective
shuddha at sarai.net