[Reader-list] Mass Graves in Kashmir

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Sat Apr 12 20:46:07 IST 2008

Dear all,

at a friends urging, I did a short google search using the string
"Nameless Graves Kashmir" and I came up with  a first 30 pages of
reports. There were stories in newspapers based in Kashmir like
Greater Kashmir and Kashmir Times of course, and stories in the
International Herald Tribune, in newspapers out of Ireland, Taiwan,
Pakistan and elsewhere, besides numerous blog posts and forwards on
lists. The only Indian newspapers of any consequence that featured
the story (I tracked this till the 30th google page) were -

Punjab Kesri
http://www.punjabkesari.com/frmChNewsDetails.aspx?
uid=72362&CatName=Jammu-Kashmir

Tribune
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2008/20080410/j&k.htm#9

The Telegraph, Kolkata
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1080406/jsp/nation/story_9101889.jsp

The Economic Times
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/
msid-2912554,flstry-1.cms

Outlook
http://www.outlookindia.com/pti_news.asp?gid=61&id=560828

DNA, Mumbai
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1159182

(all more or less 'regional/city' publications) Barring Outlook. None
of the national dailies, or big news channels seem to have anything.

I have already listed the Hindustan Times story in the previous
posting. This frugality of media attention is surprising, given the
seriousness of the story.

I spent some time on the Indian Express website, and here is what I
found.

The Indian Express's micro website - www.kashmirlive.com - which is
tagged - "Coverage from the Largest news bureau in the valley" and
which offers 'latest Kashmir news' has no report on the mass graves.
It does have a photograph, (in the section titled 'Gallery' by Javed
Shah, that is captioned - 'participant at a rally for displaced
persons in Srinagar' and one can make out from the banner that it
carries the words 'missing' and that it is clearly organized by the
'Association of the Parents of Disappeared Persons' - the
organization that has brought out the report called 'Facts
Underground' which highlights the anonymous graves. The dateline of
the photograph, and the contents of the image suggest that the event
must have to do with the APDPs report (titled 'Facts Underground' )
on the 'nameless graves'

But the Indian Express's editorial policy, no doubt a fine example of
a case of the hihgly restrained realization of its credo of
'journalism of courage', transformed 'disappearance' into
'displacement', and omits to give any indication of what the rally is
all about. In fact, given that the term 'displacement' is usually
identified with the internal migration of Kashmiri Pundits, a casual
reader may even think (simply from reading the caption to the
photograph) that this may be referring to 'displaced' Kashmiris, ie,
Kashmiri Pandits.

In fact the 10 top stories in the Indian Express's dedicated micro
site for news about Kashmir are as follows -

1.Civilian killed after being mistaken for a militant
2. First Kashmiri Maj Gen asks youth to join army
3. Sonia Gandhi to visit Kashmiri migrant camp
4. J-K spends Rs 15 crore on road upgradation project
5. Traffic awareness campaign to be launched
6. 21,000 vacancies to be filled by fast-track recruitment
7. NC at the forefront of anti-Kashmiri tirade: PDP
8. Former ultras float seperatist political outfit
9. Bomb squad destroys fuse safely
10. Valley expects heavy influx of tourists

You would have thought that the "largest" news bureau in the valley,
would have the human resources to folllow up on a story that refers
to the remains of the bodies of 940 nameless people.

The Hindu (known for the imaginative journalism of one Praveen Swami
on Kashmir , recently discussed on one of the postings) features only
one recent report on Kashmir - about a youth found guilty of
impersonation and fraud.

How much courage does it take for the Journalism of Courage to get
its act together. I am not making a special case for the Indian
Express - the Hindu, the Times of India, NDTV, CNN-IBN all seem
complicit in the generation of a very loud silence.

Does any one know why this is the case? I am currently not in Delhi
and so, cannot get a sense of what is causing this strange silence.

Would really like to know what other people think is actually going on.

best

Shuddha