[Reader-list] Torch for Tibet

S. Jabbar sonia.jabbar at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 09:20:31 IST 2008

PARALLEL PEACE RUN: TORCH FOR TIBET ON 17th April Œ08

10 am: assemble at Raj Ghat.
Prayers and chanting for peace.  The torch will be blessed by leaders of
different faiths and we will keep Gandhi's message of non-violence in our
hearts as we seek his blessings.

10.30 Silent march to Samta Sthal.
This is Jagjivan Ram's samadhi across from Raj Ghat on the other side of
Ring Road.

11.00 Torch for Tibet Flag off.
The route follows LNJP Road to Ram Lila Ground Chowk, where it will turn
left and go over the Ranjit Singh flyover to the Barakhamba Rd./Tolstoy Marg
crossing.  Then it will go down Tolstoy Marg, crossing Kasturba Gandhi Marg
and Janpath to end at Jantar Mantar.

The whole run/walk is 4 km and should not take more than 1.5-2 hrs.
Afterwards at Jantar Mantar we will observe Tibet Day where Tibetan and
Indian speakers will have an opportunity to express their support.  We will
also have performers from Tibetan Institute of Performing Arts showcasing
their work.

Please come and support in large numbers.  Please bring banners and placards
of peace and support to the Tibetan movement. You should plan to line the
streets in prominent places like the big crossings or in the last stretch to
cheer the runners.  We welcome anyone, especially athletes and sports people
who wish to run along the Torch for Tibet.

It should be noted that what was supposed to be a grand spectacle with the
Official Olympic Torch has turned into a shady affair where ordinary people
refuse to participate or cheer and governments have to deploy large numbers
of police to 'protect' the torch.

Our Torch for Tibet in contrast should symbolize peace, joy and freedom.
Therefore, we request you to observe this spirit and not indulge in
violence, abuse or anger against anyone.

Please be vigilant against agent provocateurs who may infiltrate our event
and try and cause disturbances to generate controversy and give this
movement a bad name.

Please circulate this message widely.