[Reader-list] Introduction

pankhuree dube pankhuree at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 22 03:06:37 IST 2008

Hi Monica,
I just joined Sarai last night and am sending along the paragraph about myself.
  I am an undergraduate at Boise State University pursuing a double major in History and Political Science. My main area of interest is social movements, civil society. The regions I want to study are Latin America (specifically, the crisis in Oaxaca, southern Mexico) and of course India (specifically, the plight of the Adivasis in central India: Chattisgarh, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh). I am especially interested in the  development-induced displacement of the Adivasis by the Narmada dams and the Naxalite insurgency & counterinsurgency because that is the topic of my Honors Thesis. So I would appreciate any advice, feedback, info, news of the developing situation there. More generally, I work in a library and love to read, am an avid film-buff and one of my favorite albums is Night Song by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (with Michael Brook). I am going to apply to graduate programs in the Fall and yet I wish I could somehow run off and do some fieldwork while re-charging my psychic batteries for a year. Right now, I am coping with burn out, fear of the future, and an overabundance of ideas and plans. I look forward to being part of this conversation!
Best,
Pankhuree Dube