[Reader-list] Olive Ridley turtles

S. Jabbar sonia.jabbar at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 09:53:10 IST 2008

 Tapas,

Thanks for your mail detailing Tata's Gopalpur activities. I really think
the large corporations who go to town advertising their corporate
responsibility ought to be exposed for what they are.

I was really excited about Tata BP solar at first when I discovered they had
many products oriented towards the individual consumer.  I wanted to install
a solar powered inverter in my apartment this summer.  Try finding an
outlet— it was near impossible.  So I got in touch with them through their
website. No response. So I wrote off an angry email and finally someone sent
me a number of a distributor. I called him.  The price was exorbitant, at
least 20,000 Rs. more than a regular inverter! I rapidly lost interest. He
was a nice guy so we had a long chat about the ridiculousness of the
situation, how things were overpriced and there was no govt. subsidy for the
urban consumer and no Tata subsidy either.  Surely if they priced themselves
reasonably they would have enough demand for the product to be profitable in
the long run.  Surely they know this, so why don't they do it?

My other grouse is about their smoke belching diesel vehicles.  My love of
the mountains often takes me to places like Ladakh, Lahaul and Spiti.  Next
time you are there remember to look at the hillsides along the highways,
particularly on corners.  Because there is no vegetation it is easy to see
the effect of Diesel trucks.  The rocks are black with deposits.  It is
disgusting that companies like the Tatas have been allowed to continue to
produce sub-standard engines in their trucks and buses .  Why aren't they
subjected to emission norms?  They really ought to be taxed heavily when
entering the high Himalayas with their very fragile eco systems and  made to
clean up the rock faces at the very least.

And then the much touted one lakh Nano.  How I would have rejoiced if all
the R&D had gone into producing a one lakh electric car!  BTW poor REVA,  I
believe they don't get any support from the Go I.

Best
sj

On 4/21/08 8:16 PM, "Tapas Ray" <tapasrayx at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sonia,

Thanks for forwarding this release. I agree with you that one need
> not
go starry-eyed about Tata. Look at the way it has steamrolled over a
large
> section of people unwilling to give up their land in Singur
(West Bengal),
> helped by an obliging state government and CPI(M).

A little over a decade
> ago, as a journalist, I covered the popular
opposition it was encountering in
> Gopalpur-on-Sea (Orissa) for its
plan to set up an integrated steel plant,
> take over the small local
port and turn it into a large one, etc. Predictably,
> the state
government (of Orissa) was bending over backwards, sending in
> police,
to carry out its wishes. There were clashes, roads were dug up,
> etc.

I believe the company has had - or is going to have - its way
> despite
all that resistance ... perhaps more than it had bargained for at
> that
time, because later there was talk of an SEZ. As we know, these SEZs
are
> nothing but militarised outposts - considering the way their
administrative
> structure has been planned - of global capitalism, on
whose block Tata is now
> the new kid, and is duly revered for this by
state governments and political
> parties across the spectrum in India,
from Gujarat to West Bengal.

I used to
> think that the Tata group is an enlightened one, but have
been rather unsure
> of that since I saw what they were up to in
Gopalpur.

A side note - there is
> a parallel between our SEZs and Shanghai. My
suggestion to the state and
> central governments in India: if you want
to emulate China, don't beat about
> the bush; just turn the whole
country into one big Shanghai.

Another side
> note, this one about Greenpeace: Some months ago, in one
of their newsletters,
> they were talking about "green Apple". A couple
of months later, they realised
> that Apple wasn't that green after all.
I think they need to be more careful
> with their assessment of