[Reader-list] Turtles, Tatas and Reva

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Tue Apr 22 17:43:24 IST 2008

Dear Aman,

You wrote - "Our utopian city should not be one full of REVAs, and it
should not
be one full of Nanos either .. it should ideally be full of bicycles
and public transport ..and roads designed for cyclists and rickshaw
pullers rather than automobile users - perhaps the ideal vehicle
could be a cross between the Nano and Reva - small, cheap and non-
polluting.We could call it the Never"

I totally agree. My enthusiasm for the Reva needed your note of
temperence. And better never than nano. : )

And I think that you are right in saying that cities worth living in
need to be smaller so that they can be gotten around in cycles and
rickshaws. Delhi, in the 19th century was apparently such a city.

Now, if a city like Delhi could be redesigned (speculatively, and in
good humour, as a heuristic exercise) we could begin by erasing what
is erroneously called 'Lutyens' Delhi off the map, it's too much
space for too few people.That could leave maybe a few bungalows
(maybe just 3 or 4) to double as libraries, themed discotheques and
chess clubs. Wonder how much that would shrink the city. Maybe not
much, but it could be a beginning, then we could demolish the
memorials by the riverbank, all of them, and collect all the ashes of
all the national leaders and put them in a reasonably sized urn in
the corner of a former underground parking lot converted into
municipal storage space, and also get rid of the eyesore called the
Akshardham temple. And then invite the decent, hardworking people who
once used to live on the riverbank to return.

If there are architects and urban planners on the Reader List
listening in, perhaps someone from amongst them could begin proposing
alternative maps for the future of our cities - as sketchbook
scenarios, with no (political) limits on what can be imagined.  In
case the architects and the urban planners are too shy to reveal
their speculative selves, or even if they are not, maybe the rest of
us could also respond. Any takers?

best

Shuddha