[Reader-list] Fwd: Turtles, Tatas and Reva

radhikarajen at vsnl.net radhikarajen at vsnl.net
Wed Apr 23 14:04:20 IST 2008

Hi,

     Tapas, your thoughts gave me real time to use my grey cells. It also made me aware of the citizens and their perception of the growing Ondia, bursting at seams with population,  and more importantly the cities and their rapid growth with citizens deprived of their earning by farms, agriculture, artisan works, moving to hope with greener pastures of better earning chances of cities.

 To illustrate, I came across a farmer who had about 8 acres of land in the Devanahalii, now taken over by KIADB for the "international airport, at a throw away price, seeking job in Bangalore as construction worker in any job.! When I asked him what did he do with his compensation, the answer was more perplexing and he said, part of it went to his lawyers to fight for his land, part went as bribes to get his efforts to regain land, whatever left was used for marrying his daughters in simple weddings and now with no land and no other skills in life with his village life, he is In Bangalore ready to work any job with any MNCs even as attender for meagre 2000/-, then one MNC has taken him as gardner, providing him food from canteen of MNC and work of gardening in the manicured , landscaped garden.!

  As to Reva, it made me admire at the technology, but with cities suffering from acute power shortage, charging the batteries is big task as my neighbour finds it.!
  Yours faithfully, purchased a two wheeler Honda activa, but was disgusted at the way the workers at the plant were beaten up in their peaceful protest for better working conditions, by the connivance of the "General manager" of the factory with strong political connections, his father being the CM of the state, it was my conscious that made me opt for humble bicycle with gears at a cost of  4800/-, be happy with it. No doubt the activa was better in mileage and comfort but at what cost to my fellow citizens and farmers who have given up lands for the factories. ?

   It makes me wonder at the barons of industry as to why can they not start their factory away from the cities in undeveloped areas, barren ones and make those areas good for human habitation, give opportunities for the citizens to earn the livelihood with grace and dignity, like the Mitapur which came up with Tata Chemicals, like the Jamshedpur which came up with its own school, colony in earlier generation of the tatas. ? Why this craving for Singur which is the outskirts of Kolkatta. ?

  With farmers gone modern with modern methods of farming wheat in Punjab, now the same farmers using excess of chemical fertilisers have made their lands useless, are willing to sell and migrate to Canada, even illegally.!
The lopsided policies and lack of vision in the governance has made all inclusive growth only a slogan of exploitation,?

  First it was Garibi hatao, and garib got hataod, not garibi, then it was dalit welfare and quotas and the dalit shifted the base to regional setups,India shined so bright that the real work at ground level was ignored and now it is India burning because of the overshine rubbing friction between divided citizens of India on caste, region and faith. ?