[Reader-list] Rethinking Islam

S. Jabbar sonia.jabbar at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 17:40:04 IST 2008

Hi Shuddha,

Thanks for your quick reply, particularly as you¹re elsewhere. Yes, the
rigour of the Islamic philosopher¹s thought and the atmosphere of the times
seems akin to the great ferment in India when the Prasangika Madhyamik
exponents argued their way through against the Samkhyas and nihilists and
Chittamatrins and finally the Svatantrika Madhyamiks to come out on top.
Unlike Islam, independent Buddhist thought seems to have floursihed under
the patronage of kings: Ashoka, the Kushans, and various rulers through the
run of its long journey from India, through Gandhara, C.Asia, Tibet, China
and Japan to Ceylon, SE Asia and Indonesia.

I had no idea about Ram Mohun Roy¹s interest in the Mutazalites. I find that
really interesting.  And why Patna? Maybe you can direct me to an English
translation of his commentaries.  I¹m not sure about the Mongol flirtation
with Mahayana Buddhism.  I seem to recall their coming into the fold pretty
late, around the 13th c., though I may be wrong.  I seem to recall the
biographies of Chengiz and Taimur describing them as animists and therefore
considered the worst ŒBarbarians¹ by Hindus, Muslims, Christians and
Buddhists alike!

Found some wonderful stuff on the net, but these are confined to the works
of Ibn Arabi etc.  Unfortunately, the Al Farabi¹s treatise on politics,
which seems to centre around human happiness (how utterly wonderful!) is not
available online and the only English translation is some 60$ or more at
places like Amazon.  I really need to see this work and I wonder whether
someone can direct me to a library in Delhi that would have his, On the
Perfect State.

Apart from this particular work, I wonder whether there is a volume that can
connect the dots for me and answer my fundamental questions as to how the
Asharites won the day or how even within the Sufi tradition it was not the
ideas of the Œdrunken Sufis¹ like al-Bistami, al Hallaj and Rabia that grew
and prospered but the more Orthodox silsilas that relied on the Quran, Sunna
and Sharia.

Look forward to your reading list.

Best,
sj