[Reader-list] ALFA:The Beginning (Light a candle for peace in Pakistan)

director at alaap.org.pk director at alaap.org.pk
Tue Apr 29 19:02:06 IST 2008

Dear Friends

Greetings from Alaap: Change through Arts

Finding the themes, objectives and goals of your organization as similar to ours', we are encouraged to introduce Alaap Lahore Festival of Arts (ALFA-2008), scheduled to be held on June 9-14, 2008 at Al-Hamra Arts Council, Lahore, Pakistan. The Mega Festival is designed to promote the cultural depth of Pakistan as a peace defense against dangerously rising obscurantism. Apart from compiling best talent (senior and young) of virtually all art forms existing in Pakistan, the festival is bringing unprecedented Indian delegation of around 80 celebrated intellectuals, artists and peace activists.

Please visit our website (www.alaap.org.pk) to see the details of the event and affiliated Peace Rally on June 14, 2008.

We anticipate your support in following areas;
  a.. Please endorse the Alaap Declaration of Peace and Truth (ADOPT). The document, edited by veteran human rights campaigner, I.A. Rehman, Director Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, includes basic humanist values, rights and freedoms to be agreed upon by all, in a democratic and peaceful Pakistani society. The endorsement and little message from your side shall add into its magnetic field. Please forward the document to the relevant individuals, organizations, institutes and networks. And please tell us about this.
  b.. The Peace Rally is scheduled on June 14, 2008. Our friends living in different parts of Pakistan, and in the world, are working to organize parallel candle vigils titled, "Light a candle for peace in Pakistan". Please help us in finding the relevant individuals, forums and organizations to organize a Candle Vigil in your city. Can you coordinate this activity? It will take one evening (June 14, 2008) from you and your friends. But it will give enormous strength to the crucial Peace Rally in Lahore, Pakistan.
  c.. A self-financed organization, Alaap: Change through Arts needs financial support for the event and related Peace Campaign. Please help us in finding the relevant donors or affiliations. Your little donation as individual shall be more important for us.
The minimum support we anticipate is your endorsement of ADOPT if it reflects your own ideas and beliefs. Please express your concerns and disagreements as well. It will enrich the related online debate. We anticipate positive response from your side.

With best regards,

Shiraz Raj
Executive Director
Alaap: Change Through Arts
Flat-8, First Floor, Salim Complex, Q-Block,
Model Town, Lahore-Pakistan.
Email: director at alaap.org.pk
Cell: 092-0300-4181819
Website: www.alaap.org.pk