[Reader-list] CPI-M turns film critic, kills festival

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 05:30:22 IST 2008

Dear Prakash,

this is to return to the thread about the CPI-M turning film critic
and killing a festival.

Thank you for your response to my forward of the piece in the Outlook.

Let me try and make myself clearer, I hope this will help understand
my response to the piece published in the Outlook that you refer to.

1. I am no longer in a place in my political journey where I can be
'offended' by the CPI-M's cultural politics. I am usually amused by
it, and sometimes, saddened by it.

2. I find it interesting that a party that has no objection to
censorship per se  (the censor board's existence) should nevertheless
be willing to quibble over the fact that something that is not to its
convenience has not been proscribed. I neither endorse nor support
the existence of the censor board of the department of film
festivals. I do not believe that government departments (any
government departments, central, or state, have any business
administering or running film festivals or censoring films) In fact I
do not think that films should be censored. However, I fail to
understand how an organization that sees no problem in the right of
the censor board to censor, or of the DFF to hold film festivals, can
object (retrospectively) to the screening of a film, and then perform
the supremely irrational act of obstructing other, completely
unrelated films from being shown, in a fit of pique, merely because
it does not like one of the films on the programme. Its a bit like
the behaviour of the spoilt rich kid on the street who owns the
cricket bat and then runs away with the bat, when during playing
cricket in the alley the umpire declares thim 'out', thereby ending
the game.In other words, the game can be on, only as long as the rich
kid with the bat is playing at the wicket, and only as long as the
game is played by the spoilt rich kid's rules. I knew that Alimuddin
Street was now being run by some spoilt brats, but I did not know
quite how spoilt the brats were. Events like this give you a sense of
quite how spoilt (and spoil-sportish) they are. If you agree to the
umpire, you agree to his umpiring. You can protest a decision, but do
you have the moral right to call off the rest of the game?

3. One can raise as many questions as one likes about centre state
relationships. But I cannot see how raising a question about the
federal structure of the Indian constitution requires one to prevent
films from being shown. These two seem to me to be quite separate
activities. After all, there are several anti-CPI (M) newspapers and
magazines that are sold on Kolkata's footpaths. These have
accreditations and registrations that are granted, no doubt by some
government department at the centre ( I believe it is the PIB of the
I&B ministry). Does this mean that the next time the CPI-M gets
exercised on some centre-state relationship matter, it will endorse
the banning of newspapers that happen to be cricital of it, merely
because the newspaper in question was registered with some department
in Delhi? If this is the case, then the times are even darker in
Kolkata than I thought.

4. How exactly does one 'take care' of an article published in a
magazine? Honestly, I have no clue about how to take care of other
peoples publications.

5. Does an attack on the CPI-M automatically constitute an attack on
the 'Left'? Does the CPI-M exhaust our understanding of the left?Does
everyone on the 'Left' have to speak with one voice, and does that
voice have to emanate only from the bowels of the CPI-M?

6. I did not post articles supporting the Centre on the Nuclear deal,
because I do not support the centre's position on the nuclear deal.
Nor do I support the CPI-M's position on the nuclear deal. There are
more than two possible options here. And one does not have to be
blackmailed into supporting one, merely because one does not endorse
the other. On this position, at the risk of repetition, my position
is very clear (and it has been made clear on this list before). If
India voluntarily renounces the military nuclear option, there will
be no nuclear deal worth its name. The CPI-M has never mentioned the
vo. luntary, unilateral renunciation of the nuclear military option
for India. it has merely endorsed the option of retaining the
military nuclear option, outside the ambit of US hegemony. I neither
support being within the ambit of US hegemony, nor the retention of a
nuclear military option, outside the ambit of US hegemony. I endorse
solely, and simply, the renunciation of nuclear weapons.

7. My attacks, are neither on the left, nor blind. And I have nothing
against blind people. My attacks are on the CPI-M. As I said before,
I fail to see how an attack on the CPI-M is an attack on a left wing
position. Does a left wing position become one, simply because
someone says so?

8. I did speak when filmmakers endorsed the boycott of the Kolkata
Film Festival. I supported the boycott. Because I felt that the
Government of West Bengal needed to be boycotted. In any case, the
decision to not show films was taken by filmmakers themselves. And
just as I object to filmmakers being prevented from showing their
films, I also object to filmmakers being prevented from not showing
their films. i think the  prerogative  of where, how, to whom and why
one shows a work of art, say a film, belongs first of all, to the
artist and to the filmmaker. Freedom of speech also means the right
to remain silent, when necessary.

Hope you understand where I stand on this issue now.

best

Shuddha