[Reader-list] Naxalite heroes

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 05:33:01 IST 2008

ear Jesse Knutson,

Thanks for your response.

I found Jyoti Punwani's piece stimulating to read, not because it
presented Anuradha Ghandy is a hero, but because it reminisced about
a friend. I think that the concrete solidarity of friendship has a
more capacious quality than the abstraction of heroism. As Bertholt
Brecht once said, 'pity the people who need heroes'. I am suspicious
of people who get called heroes and martyrs and would run a mile,
especially from 'revolutionary' ones. But Punwani's evocation of the
'revolutionarily' insignificant details of Anuradha's personal life,
as a friend, and her affection for her friend, made me take it
seriously. It is possible to honour a friendship, even if you have
nothing to do with the people who happen to be the friends in
question, do not know them personally, and regardless of whether or
not you agree with their views or choices.

I am not quite sure that the conceptual foundations of a Marxist-
Leninist-Maoist milieu and a liberal ngo are fundamentally different,
both assume that the 'people' are some plastic entity, an object
capable of being acted upon and shaped in the desired,
'revolutionary' or 'reformist' direction by an elite, (some of whom
get called 'heroes') either through 'true' education (what is
'untrue' education?), or that higher power called, 'empowerment'
ministered to them through the good offices, either of 'professional
revolutionaries' or of 'trained social workers'. In either case,
knowledge, consciousness, comes from a notional 'outside' and the
'people' once they are adequately filled with this knowledge, become
the 'revolutionary' instruments of history (if they are the objects
of the 'revolutionary' party's self confessed consciousness raising
mission) , or the entitled subjects of a mid day meal, or an
inoculation programme

I am actually quite interested in the example that you invoke of the
prince Siddharth, later known as the Buddha, because in the parable
of his transformation -  the encounter of someone who has not
suffered, with the reality of suffering (poverty, disease, senility,
death - the four things that the prince encounters on his chariot
ride) - this encounter - is not considered as something to be mocked
but to be seen as a generative, productive situation.

The anger and resentment of the poor for being poor does not take
them (or anyone) outside their condition. But a prince's realization
that the reality of suffering might have a relationship to his
clinging to a world where there are princes and paupers does require
him to make a choice about either being a prince, or not. In this
specific case, the prince chooses not to remain a prince. This is not
about constructing a hierarchy between the moral valence of being
princes and paupers, but about knowing that the state of princehood
and paupery are both obstacles, to emancipation. In one case, one
chooses to reject the claims of the world, in the second, one is not
in a position to reject the claims of the world, because one does not
have a world to lose.  Proletarians lose their chains by gaining a
world, princes lose their chains by losing their world.

One might say, that for a proletarian, it is the decision to no
longer act as a proletarian (as being bereft of estate) or to insist
that she might have claim on the world is something that one might
consider to be revolutionary. It is in some way, the mirror (obverse)
of the princes act. The proletarian has to make a claim on the world
that the prince must reject.  But for a revolutionary subjectivity to
arise, both the prince and the proletarian must cease to be
themselves. It means, that the poor must cease to be, or to identify
themselves, to others, or to themselves, as 'the poor'. Maoism,
glorifies the state of the poor as the poor. That is why Maoists and
Gandhians get along so well. they both love the fact that the poor,
are, well, poor. And their romanticization of poverty has a slightly
aesthetic ardour. if the poor were to spend hard earned money on
mobile phones or decent country liquor, Maoists and Gandhians would
get their khadi (or striped cotton) knickers into a twist of moral
indignation. Which is why, for instance, Maoists can claim that the
worker or proletarian in North America, for instance is no longer a
revolutionary subject. And that to be properly revolutionary in the
Maoist sense one must bear at least some working resemblance to third
world emacietedness. This means having and continuing to love having
a sad, hard, life. Maoists and Gandhians love to make everyone, and
themselves suffer. The portrait of Anuradha that Jyoti Punwani offers
is interesting, because contrary to the standard Maoist script, it
seems to suggest that Anuradha was not at all interested in
professing, or advocating the vacancy of suffering. She had made a
choice to live a certain life, not because it was a hard one,
(although it may have been a hard one) but because it was necessary
for her to do so in order to practice her politics. She did not
moralize to those who did not share her choice.

It is possible, hypothetically, that in other circumstances, a
particular revolutionary, might decide or come to the realization in
the course of their political work, that their task lies in the
necessary elimination (through a precise and economical act of pre-
meditated violence) of the CEO of a corporation. In order to achieve
this aim, that individual, might have to live for a long time,
'undercover' in a highly elite social milieu, waiting for the right
time, to make the right move. Let us assume that this requires this
individual to live the life of a high society hostess. Would we then
say, at some stage, that her decision to live the high life was an
act of revolutionary sacrifice, and that she would be right in
looking down, or that others would be justified in vicasiously (on
her behalf, that is) looking down upon those others who chose not to
do as she did, and who refused to take upon themselves the contagion
of living the hard life of moving from a society dinner to a cocktail
to the races, to another cocktail, waiting for the right moment to
bring her revolver out of her handbag. I think we might all realize
that to say such a thing would be absurd, maybe even a little
pervese. I find it no less absurd when the practical political
necessity of choosing a certain other kind of  life, as opposed to
another, no matter who chooses it,  is cast in the mould of 'herosim'.

In my view, a Marxist understanding would lie in rejecting the
poverty of the poor as a moral ideal or example.  Poverty is not a
state of grace. From what I remember of Marxism, the emancipation of
the working class results in the end of workers as workers, not in
making everyone a worker. This too is a certain kind of taking leave
of the world a it is. This actually might require a renunciation of
resentment. I have yet to see a Maoist politics that is capable of
taking leave of resentment.

  Class struggles may be caused by anger and resentment, but they
cannot be fought with anger and resentment, because proletarians
cannot afford to delude themselves that the transformation of
material conditions and social relations can be achieved by the
venting of anger against their so called 'betters'. That results in
the replacement of one group of masters with another, and yesterday's
bullied become tomorrow's bullies. It doesnt get rid of bullying, or
of that obstinate thing called class, which is not a collection of
'bad rich people', but the expression of a social relationship. The
difference between a Marxist, and a Marxist-Leninist-Maoist
understanding of practice might, I would suggest, consist in the
understanding that one comes to the banal, everyday, long haul task
of revolutionary practice, not with anger, but with patience, tact,
humour and the understanding that the attempt to get rid of class is
not the same thing as 'dipping one's hand', as the psycopathic
beatitiude of Com. Charu Mazumdar once had it, 'in the blood of the
class enemy'. Mind you, I have nothing against the tactical necessity
of violence in self defence in situations of class conflict, but to
celebrate the idea of 'dipping one's hand in the blood of the class
enemy' as so much of the legacy of Maoism in India, does, is to play
act in a macabre performance of a slightly sick fetish, not to pursue
a serious politics. A few dead policemen do not make a revolution.

thanks for the provocation to think aloud about these things

regards,

Shuddha