[Reader-list] Internal emergency in Jammu!

Shivam Vij शिवम् विज् mail at shivamvij.com
Mon Aug 4 15:07:27 IST 2008

Strike cripples life in Kashmir valley

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/002200808041321.htm

Srinagar (PTI): The strike called by hardline faction of Hurriyat
Conference to express solidarity with Muslims of Jammu region on
Monday crippled life in the Kashmir valley.

All shops, business establishments, schools and higher educational
institutions remained closed due to the strike led by Syed Ali Shah
Geelani, official sources said here.

While public transport remained off roads on all routes of the valley,
some light motor vehicles were plying in the city, they said.

Security forces have been deployed at sensitive areas like Maisuma and
Nowhatta. So far, the strike has been peaceful. There were no reports
of any untoward incident from anywhere in the valley.

o o o

Jammu strife muffles Valley business

Nazir Masoodi
Monday, August 04, 2008, (Baramulla)
http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/story.aspx?id=NEWEN20080059965

It seems that the biggest victims of the unrest in Jammu are the small
business owners and daily workers.

One of them are the Valley's fruit growers, who say that their
livelihood has been severely affected by the ongoing strife in Jammu
and desperate attempts are now being made to bring back some profits.

It has been a long wait for Ghulam Mohammad to take his pear-laden
truck to Delhi's Azadpur Mandi.

Supporters of the Amarnath Sangharsh Samiti have imposed an economic
blockade targeting any truck carrying goods into or out of Kashmir.
And fearing a backlash, Police are preventing trucks from moving
forward.

"The police are saying that Kashmiri truckers wouldn't be allowed to
proceed because they are being beaten along the highway. So I had to
return from Lower Monda," said Ghulam Mohammad, driver.

Srinagar-Jammu highway is the only road link that connects Kashmir
with the rest of India but after right wing political parties in Jammu
declared a boycott of Kashmiri goods and began to enforce the economic
blockade. Fruit growers in the Valley are now looking to take the
Srinagar-Muzafarabad road to reach other places in India.

"We are compelled to take this step. But since fruits are perishable
we will take it via Jhelum Valley road," Ghulam Rasool, fruitseller.

As the markets and the rout have succumbed to strife in Jammu, the
Valley's fruit growers say they have been pushed to the wall and
forced to use the Srinagar-Muzaffarabad road to reach out to the
market.

National Highway http://shivamvij.com/