[Reader-list] Fw: [faowindia] The Queer Azadi March

kabi cubby sherman cubbykabi at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 4 18:05:01 IST 2008

From: cs lists <chayshal at gmail.com>
To: streesangam at googlegroups.com
Cc: faow yahoogroup <faowindia at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, 4 August, 2008 3:57:49 PM
Subject: [faowindia] The Queer Azadi March

by:

Aanchal
Trust, Astitva, Dai Welfare Society,
GayBombay, Humsaaya,
Humsafar Trust,
INFOSEM,
Lesbians and Bisexuals in Action,
Queer
Media Collective, Rainbow Pride Connexion,
Sakhi
Char Chowghi, Salvation Star, Sarathi,
Symphony
in Pink

We will gather at August
Kranti Maidan 3:30 pm onwards.

QUEER
AZADI MUMBAI 2008

Who is ‘queer’?Queer was originally used as a put-down,
but the word was reclaimed as a positive marker of identity by those of us whom
society considered odd, strange or abnormal. We use the word to refer to all
people marginalisedby a society that is narrowly defined by
hetero-normativity and by the male-female gender binary. Lesbian, gay, bisexual,
hijra, transgender, kothi, panthi, intersex… all who  identify with words like these have
gathered here today under the umbrella of the “queer” community.

What’s the slogan “queer azadi”
about?This country
achieved Independence on 15th August, 1947,
but its countless queer citizens are still not free. We have no rights, and no
place in a society that refuses to accept us for who we are.. And that is why
we’ve chosen 16th August as Queer Azadi Diwas, so that we may be seen
and heard, and in order to bring to the notice of both our society and our
government some issues that concern us:

	* Under Sec. 377 of the Indian  Penal Code our desires and relationships are considered to be criminal acts.  We want this regressive law read down.

	* Every individual is under  tremendous pressure to marry a person of the opposite sex, as marriage is seen  as a must in our society. We are launching a campaign against all such forced  marriages.

	* The Constitution must include  provisions to deal with all discrimination on the grounds of sexuality or  gender.

	* We call for an end to  homophobia and transphobia — an end to violence and hate within families, in  educational institutions, at places of work and in public spaces.

Today’s event is not just for the queer
communities.Many others
are here to encourage and support us — family members, friends, colleagues;
NGOs,  women’s groups, human rights
organizations, and trade unionists; educational institutions and their students.

We invite you to join us on our march as
well and to raise your voice along with ours.

 __._,_.___
Messages in this topic  (1)  Reply  (via web post)  | Start a new topic

Visit Your Group  | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use  | Unsubscribe
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News
Odd News
You won't believe