[Reader-list] Hindu Communalists ! and Jammu keeps Burning

rashneek kher rashneek at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 09:34:25 IST 2008

Shivam....

Gautam Navlakha is either unlettered or so blind by his neo-convert status
that he seems to have missed what Rajatarangni and Nilamata write about
Amarnath or Amreshwar as it was called then.Shivam...please send this to
your comrade Gautam Navlakha...
Let him lick it...or tell him to read both texts again.I suggest you too to
inform and educate yourself a little better to carry out any meaningful
deabte on Kashmir.
Neem hakeem khatray jehan suits people like you and Navlakha.You and
Navlakha are more separtist than the separatists becuase while they know
truth and twist it...you ,like blind men simply follow the twist and f**K
the truth.

*There is ample and conclusive historical evidence, on the other hand, to
prove that the holy cave and the ice lingam were known to the people since
very ancient times and have been continuously and regularly visited by
pilgrims not only from Kashmir but also from different parts of India.
While the earliest reference to Amarnath can be seen in the Nilamata Purana
(v.1324), a 6th century Sanskrit text which depicts the religious and
cultural life of early Kashmiris and gives Kashmir's own creation myth, the
pilgrimage to the holy cave has been described with full topographical
details in the Bhringish Samhita and the Amarnatha Mahatmya, both ancient
texts said to have been composed even earlier.
References to Amarnath, known have also been made in historical chronicles
like the Rajatarangini and its sequels and several Western travellers'
accounts also leaving no doubt about the fact that the holy cave has been
known to people for centuries. The original name of the tirtha, as given in
the ancient texts, is of course Amareshwara, Amarnath being a name given
later to it.
Giving the legend of the Naga Sushruvas, who in his fury burnt to ashes the
kingdom of King Nara when he tried to abduct his daughter already married to
a Brahmin youth, and after the carnage took his abode in the lake now known
as Sheshnag (Kashmiri Sushramnag), Kalahana writes:
"The lake of dazzling whiteness [resembling] a sea of milk (Sheshnag), which
he created [for himself as residence] on a far off mountain, is to the
present day seen by the people on the pilgrimage to
Amareshwara."(Rajatarangini, Book I v. 267.Translation: M. A. Stein).
This makes it very clear that pilgrims continued to visit the holy Amarnath
cave in the 12th century, for Kalhana wrote his chronicle in the
years1148-49.
At another place in the Rajatarangini (Book II v. 138), Kalhana says that
King Samdhimat Aryaraja (34 BCE-17CE) used to spend "the most delightful
Kashmir summer" in worshiping a linga formed of snow "in the regions above
the forests". This too appears to be a reference to the ice linga at
Amarnath. There is yet another reference to Amareshwara or Amarnath in the
Rajatarangini (Book VII v.183). According to Kalhana, Queen Suryamati, the
wife of King Ananta (1028-1063), "granted under her husband's name agraharas
at Amareshwara, and arranged for the consecration of trishulas, banalingas
and other [sacred emblems]".
In his Chronicle of Kashmir, a sequel to Kalhana's Rajatarangini, Jonaraja
relates that that Sultan Zainu'l-abidin (1420-1470) paid a visit to the
sacred tirtha of Amarnath while constructing a canal on the left bank of the
river Lidder (vv.1232-1234). The canal is now known as Shah Kol.
In the Fourth Chronicle named Rajavalipataka, which was begun by
Prjayabhatta and completed by Shuka, there is a clear and detailed reference
to the pilgrimage to the sacred site (v.841,vv. 847-849). According to it,
in a reply to Akbar's query about Kashmir Yusuf Khan, the Mughal governor of
Kashmir at that time, described among other things the Amarnath Yatra in
full detail. His description shows that the not only was the pilgrimage in
vogue in Akbar's time - Akbar annexed Kashmir in 1586 - but the phenomenon
of waxing and waning of the ice linga was also well known.
Amareshwar (Amarnath) was a famous pilgrimage place in the time of the
Mughal emperor Shah Jahan also. In his eulogy of Shah Jahan's father-in-law
Asif Khan, titled "Asaf Vilas", the famous Sanskrit scholar and aesthete
Panditraj Jagannath makes clear mention of Amareshwara (Amarnath) while
describing the Mughal garden Nishat laid out by Asif Khan. The King of gods
Indra himself, he says, comes here to pay obeisance to Lord Shiva".
As we well know Francois Bernier, a French physician accompanied Emperor
Aurangzeb during his visit to Kashmir in 1663. In his book "Travels in
Mughal Empire" he writes while giving an account the places he visited in
Kashmir that he was "pursuing journey to a grotto full of wonderful
congelations, two days journey from Sangsafed" when he "received
intelligence that my Nawab felt very impatient and uneasy on account of my
long absence". The "grotto" he refers to is obviously the Amarnath cave as
the editor of the second edition of the English translation of the book,
Vincient A. Smith makes clear in his introduction. He writes: "The grotto
full of wonderful congelations is the Amarnath cave, where blocks of ice,
stalagmites formed by dripping water from the roof are worshipped by many
Hindus who resort here as images of Shiva….."
Another traveler, Vigne, in his book "Travels in Kashmir, Ladakh and
Iskardu" writes about the pilgrimage to the sacred spot in detail, clearly
mentioning that "the ceremony at the cave of Amarnath takes place on the
15th of the Hindoo month of Sawan" and that "not only Hindoos of every rank
and caste can be seen collecting together and traveling up the valley of
Liddar towards the celebrated cave……" Vigne visited Kashmir after his return
from Ladakh in 1840-41 and published his book in 1842. His book makes it
very clear that the Amarnath Yatra drew pilgrims from the whole of India in
his time and was undertaken with great enthusiasm.[image: Justify Full]
Again, the great Sikh Guru Arjan Dev is said to have granted land in
Amritsar for the ceremonial departure of Chari, the holy mace of Lord Shiva
which marks the beginning of the Yatra to the Holy Cave. In 1819, the year
in which the Afghan rule came to an end in Kashmir, Pandit Hardas Tiku
"founded the Chhawni Anmarnath at Ram Bagh in Srinagar where the Sadhus from
the plains assembled and where he gave them free rations for the journey,
both ways from his own private resources", as the noted Kashmiri naturalist
Pandit Samsar Chand Kaul has pointed out in his booklet titled "The
Mysterious cave of Amarnath".
Not only this, Amarnath is deeply enshrined in the Kashmiri folklore also as
stories like that of Soda Wony clearly show. One can, therefore, conclude
without any doubt that the Amaranth Yatra has been going on continuously for
centuries along the traditional route of the Lidder valley and not a century
and a half affair. May be during the Afghan rule when religious persecution
of the Kashmiri Hindus was at its height and they were not allowed to visit
their places of worship the pilgrimage was discontinued for about fifty or
sixty years and during this period the flock of some shepherd may have
strayed into the holy cave, but that in no way makes it of a recent origin
or a show window of so-called Kashmiriat.

*
On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 7:49 PM, Shivam Vij शिवम् विज् <mail at shivamvij.com>wrote:

> The Economic and Political Weekly
> July 26, 2008
>
> STATE CULTIVATION OF THE AMARNATH YATRA
>
> by Gautam Navlakha
>
> The origins of the conflagration in June in
> Kashmir on forest  land allocation for
> construction of facilities for the Amarnath yatra
> lie in open state promotion of the pilgrimage.
> The yatra has caused considerable damage to the
> economy and ecology of the area.  The high-handed
> actions of the  Shri Amarnath Shrine Board only
> aggravated the situation.
>
> The Amarnath pilgrimage erupted into a major
> controversy last month entirely on account of the
> actions of the state. The Act setting up the
> Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) was passed by
> the National Conference government in 2001. On
> January 1, 2008, the SASB informed the
> legislature of Jammu and Kashmir, through a
> letter to the deputy chief minister, that "(t)he
> Governor is  sovereign ex-officio holder of the
> power...  who acts on his own personal
> satisfaction and not on the aid and advice of the
> council of ministers...the member (of the
> legislative council) may be explained that he
> does not enjoy the powers to question the
> decisions of the body" (Greater Kashmir, June 12,
> 2008).
>
> Disconcertingly, the SASB, when presided over by
> S K Sinha when he was governor, has been engaged
> in some controversial transactions. The chief
> executive officer (CEO) of the SASB is the
> principal secretary to the governor. The CEO's
> wife, in her capacity as principal secretary of
> the forest department, granted permission to the
> SASB on May 29, 2005 to use forest land for the
> pilgrimage. Because this action was not in
> accordance with the provision of the J&K Forest
> Conservation Act of 1997, the state government
> withdrew the order.  However, a division bench of
> the J&K High Court stayed the withdrawal of
> permission to occupy forest land. But when in
> mid-2008, the state cabinet gave its approval to
> "divert" 40 ha of forest land for the yatra the
> issue erupted into widescale public protests. The
> deputy chief minister, belonging to the
> Progressive Democratic Party (PDP) went so far as
> to claim that Congress ministers "black- mailed"
> them into giving this approval (Indian Express,
> June 16, 2008).  The Indian state has often used
> the yatra to promote a certain kind of
> nationalism.  During the Kargil war, in 1999, the
> Press Information Bureau put out a press re-
> lease stating: "(the) yearning for moksha
> (salvation) can move the devotees to the
> challenging heights of Kashmir and will be a
> fitting gesture of solidarity with our valiant
> soldiers who have been fighting the enemy to
> defend our borders" (pib.nic.in/
> feature/feo799/f1507992 html).
>
> A Little Known Shrine
>
> Thus, what is otherwise a religious pilgrimage of
> the shaivite Hindus has been elevated to
> represent a patriotic enterprise. What is
> interesting is that the translator of
> [...]

Rashneek Kher
Wandhama Massacre-The Forgotten Human Tragedy
http://www.kashmiris-in-exile.blogspot.com
http://www.nietzschereborn.blogspot.com