[Reader-list] Fw: Queer Azadi March (Please circulate widely and do join us)

kabi cubby sherman cubbykabi at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 11 23:49:37 IST 2008

Meter Down - kaali-peeli ki kahaani
podcast: http://feeds.feedburner.com/meterdown
blog: http://meterdown.wordpress.com

From: labia india <labialist at yahoo.com>
To: labia gmail <stree.sangam at gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, 11 August, 2008 11:26:38 PM
Subject: Queer Azadi March (Please circulate widely and do join us)

Queer
Azadi March
August
Kranti Maidan
Girgaum
Chowpatty
16th August 2008

Who is ‘queer’?Queer was originally used as a put-down, but the word was reclaimed
as a positive marker of identity by those of us whom society considered odd,
strange or abnormal. We use the word to refer to all people marginalisedby a society that is narrowly
defined by hetero-normativity and by the male-female gender binary. Lesbian,
gay, bisexual, hijra, transgender, kothi, panthi, intersex… all who  identify with words like these have gathered
here today under the umbrella of the “queer” community.
What’s the slogan “queer azadi” about?This country achieved Independence on 15th August, 1947, but its countless queer citizens are still not free. We have no
rights, and no place in a society that refuses to accept us for who we are. And
that is why we’ve chosen 16th August as Queer Azadi Diwas, so that
we may be seen and heard, and in order to bring to the notice of both our
society and our government some issues that concern us
This event is not just for the queer communities.Many others will be there to
encourage and support us — family members, friends, colleagues; NGOs,  women’s groups, human rights organizations,
and trade unionists; educational institutions and their students.
We invite you to join us on our march as well and to raise your voice
along with ours.
We will gather at
August Kranti Maidan 2:30 pm onwards.

Organised by:
Aanchal Trust, Astitva, Dai Welfare Society,
GayBombay, Humsaaya, Humsafar Trust,
INFOSEM, Lesbians and Bisexuals in Action, Queer
Media Collective, Rainbow Pride Connexion,Sakhi Char Chowghi, Salvation Star,
Sarathi, Symphony in Pink

LESBIANS ON THE LINE 9833278171
Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays (5pm - 8pm)

You can also reach us at:
LABIA/ Stree Sangam
P.O. Box 16613
Mumbai 400 019.