[Reader-list] A question for Arka

Logos Theatre logos.theword at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 18:23:10 IST 2008

Dear Arnab,
        Thanks for the question(s).
 While it is a very legitimate question, I can't quite see how it's a
logical dilemma. Surely, it is a matter of choice? Because, contrary to
arundhati's fulminations, of course i am not obligated to return the money.
i am however, doing this as a matter of principle and a fitting reply.
therefore, the choice of how i disburse the money is surely mine. but more
to the point, i am spreading it over five years to encourage multiple people
to speak out against the tatas over a period of time. as i said in the
earlier post, five grand is a pittance, compared to IFa's .5 million grants
to the artistic equivalents of white elephants, but it is still something.
and for people with genuine ideas and fire in the belly, it can be more than
enough. besides, as i also mentioned earlier, this is the catalyst so that
others, those who still have a backbone left, pitch in and increase the
endowment, in the spirit of true art. i am not looking at institutionalizing
it, but rather creating a loose community for which this could be the spark
off point, in the footsteps of dada.
         as for the second part of your question - no the maoists do not
qualify because i have never said i'll give it out for anything that is
illegal. that raises many thorny questions, about how oppressive laws
themselves are invalid in the first place. of course they are, and i'd
protest against them myself, and against the persecution of innocent people
- just about everybody who dares to raise a voice, branding them maoists.
however, i personally do not endorse armed, violent activism, and since this
is my money, well...
        so to answer you - i have very clearly stated i am looking at two
things - artistic endeavours, and people/organizations working for/with
victims of the tatas. please wait for a formal announcement on this and
other lists about this. so if your friends pissing/ masturbating is done in
a way that qualifies as performance art (in my book - again because it's my
money we are talking about), then yes, they'd be eligible. but not merely
for saying they want to do it - for actually doing it.
       lastly, it turns out that my mentioning of dow in the original post
wasn't far off the mark - ratan tata happens to be the leader of a
consortium that wants the government to drop cases against dow in return for
a one time dole. and we still continue to have our heads in the sand.

warm regards,
arka