[Reader-list] in kashmir Co2 emission as metaphor

inder salim indersalim at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 23:48:50 IST 2008

"The odd and widely ignored truth is that routine radioactive
discharges from coal-burning  are greater than those produced by
nuclear plants. Coal contains trace amounts of uranium and thorium.
Though these  are present at much lower levels than in nuclear fuel, a
lot more coal is burned, which means that total emissions are
greater."

This is from the article written by George Monbiot in response to
Arthur Scargill's  pro-coal energy debate against nuclear energy.

George Monbiot  further clarifies, " I feel I need to point out that I
have not become an advocate for nuclear power. My position is that
environmentalists should stop trying to pick technologies for
electricity generation.  Instead we should demand a maximum level for
the corbon dioxide produced per megawatt-hour, impose a number of
other public safety measures, of delivering it. Otherwise we are in
danger of backing the solutions we find aesthetically appealing and
delaying the massive carbon cuts that need to be made. I proposed last
week, we should no longer oppose it- though there remains a big if.
This is too subtle a point for Arthur and other commentators, who are
shrieking that Monbiot has gone nuclear "

If you allow me to apply this above to our present  J&K crises, what I
see is that the emission of corbon dioxide is 'the hate' which we need
to check for public safety. Those who generate it even can not say it
so publicly, and therefore we all need to say YES to the control  of
'hate' emission in J&K.  On the list we often go through  reflections
which often tends to point out repeatedly that our Muslim terrorism in
Kashmir is the most dangerous thing in India, which is like saying
blind YES to popularly debated Nuclear Energy programme. But the odd
and widely ignored truth is that the routine radioactive discharges
from the most ancient practice of producing carbon dioxide in the
atmosphere is done by Hindus in India and therefore, as George Monbiot
pointed out is much 'greater' in comparison to nuclear emission.

This is too subtle a point for BJP and other commentators, who are
shrieking that secularist have gone pro-terrorism.

Already there is ample evidence of huge lot of pseudo-secularist in
Congress party, other parties and Left even, who are cleverly
supporting hate programmes in their own unique polished styles . I am
not talking about that kind of secularism. I am interested in
something which might link issues, somehow, even absurdly.

Now, we all are interested in Kashmir, like 'energy',  but we quickly
take positions like pro-coal energy versus pro-nuclear thing. But, for
example,  I have recently seen too bad movies done by kashmiris movie
makers.  One on Habba Khatoon and other on Krishan Joo Razdan. It is
obvious why the directors go terribly wrong while dealing with
sensitive biographies of poets.  Our politics is full of such bad
directors, who are either a Hindu or a Muslim with a secular book in
their hands.  Speaking in general, Secularism is like music which is
essential for making a good movie, but see what these directors do,
they do it but hardly they realize that the image which they provide
is  not in sync with the music they usually borrow, buy or appropriate
from  our stock of ancient virtues.

What are virtues ?  Ancient kashmir and India is full of such
thoughts, but we hardly get inspired by that. One should have a
glimpse of a muslim art in V&A and British museum in London to see how
Aesthetic were Arabs in the past. Not for nothing was their art and
craft so breathtaking, which gives us an insight why the Arabic script
is so' 'musical' in form; but at the best, in the hands of a modern
Muslim calligraphist, it can be  plagiarism in disguise. So has it
happened to a Hindu architect, even,  just see how fake Akshardam
Temple in Delhi looks. Here, I am talking about form, not about the
land grabbers which is a unique feature of both Temple and Mosque
makers  in India and Kashmir.

Since, both art and aesthetic  and life has changed, perhaps because
of global crises like energy, and my gut feeling is that Monbiot is
too keen to ensure human continuity on this planet, but right now he
has not language to say that both the forms of energy are basically
not good for human beings in the first place. After all, he is one
amongst 6 billion people on earth who need it somehow.  Presently, a
veritable demand for reduction of Co2 will lead us to  invent some
human friendly form of energy or will compel us to lead a simple life.
I don't know.

In  Jammu and Kashmir too, we need both the forms of energies ( Hindu
and Muslim ) but how to limit the emission of  its radio-active
emission and carbon di-oxide. A veritable demand for reduction of
'hate' will finally lead us to invent some human friendly neo
sufi-bhakti movement or will compel us to lead a simple life...i
repeat SIMPLE LIFE

Till then best
With love
Inder salim