[Reader-list] On KP anger

Aarti Sethi aarti.sethi at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 02:08:23 IST 2008

i think actually mahmood has raised a very pertinent and troubling question,
and one that it would be worthwhile to discuss. And on this issue I think
many of us who otherwise have disagreed vehemently with Aditya, Pawan and
Kshamendra on this list might actually like to begin a discussion. Its a
curious question, this.

And this contradiction has surfaced over and over again in the discussions
we have had on the list. So while on one hand there is a rage against what
is seen as being a complicity of the state with the dispossesion of the KPs
from their ancestral homes, there is a simultaneous genuflection to it. Let
me hazard a few guesses:

One, is a realisation of the immense power that the state wields.

Two is a fear that if azadi were to come to Kashmir now, given what has
occurred in the last 15 years, there is a sense that the terms of this azadi
and self-determination will have no place for kashmiri pandits. Therefore if
you cannot support a movement that is seen as being  deterimental to your
intrests then it makes sense to throw ones lot in with the state.

Also I think there is a much more sinister politics at play in which lines
have been drawn along religion so sharply that self-determiantion is seen as
being a kashmiri muslim demand, and the state system is allied, in its
current configuration, with the right. And the state is totally complicit in
producing a situation in which the rights of the kashmiri pandits become
allied to an idea of akand bharat, and therefore any opposition to akhand
bharat is logically seen as detrimental to KP interests.

And in all of this the state grins like the cheshire cat, now you see it now
you dont.

best