[Reader-list] Gun Salutes for August 15

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Sun Aug 17 18:42:39 IST 2008

Dear Aditya Raj Kaul,

A passing thought in your response to Inder Salim's recent post
intrigued me.

You said, "I didn't find you confused Inder; but your name is what I
meant. Now, if you take it that ways; its all upto you. Its not about
you being a artist, a nude actor or anything.....its about your
nature of appeasing Muslims and lick their feet while you play with
words in mails..."

I don't quite see why Inder's choice of a name for himself, the name
Inder Salim, says anything about 'appeasing' and 'licking the feet
of' Muslims. True, it is a common Muslim name, but then so is Iqbal,
or Bahadur, or Shamsher, (all with respectable perso-arabic origins)
names that are often used as a first name for devout Hindus and
Sikhs. And frankly, what if it also happens to be a common Muslim
name? And what exactly is the problem in 'confusing' two different
kinds of identity within the framework of a name? How does that
'confusion' amount to 'appeasement' of anything other than a person's
desire to choose how to represent themselves to the world?

The word Salim, means 'peaceful' in Arabic, Persian and several other
languages. its cognates are 'Salaam' in Arabic, and 'Shalom' and
'Shulamit' (a common girls name) in Hebrew, And, like Iqbal, comes
originally from Arabic-Hebraic-Semitic  roots. Inder, as we all know,
is a variant on the name of Indr,  the sky god of Rig-Vedic religion,
who hurls thunderoblts, conquers and destroys cities. If through the
act of naming himself, Inder Salim has transformed a warrior deity
into a peaceful one, by making a name for himself (in more ways than
one) then I don't quite see what objection there can be to that. All
his name says to me is that he, this Inder, is at peace with himself,
and that he is peaceful.

Since, the word, 'Salim' has actually no necessary exclusively
'religious' connotation, and could for instance be a word like say -
'Shanti' (and I know several Bangladeshi and Indonesian people, who,
though Muslim, carry high Sanskritic names like Pragya, Lavanya,
Sukanta or Paramita), I do not quite see how carrying the name
'Salim' necessarily identifies one as a Hindu, a Muslim, as an
agnostic or as a Seventh Day Adventist. My name, Shuddhabrata, is as
Sanskritic as it can get, but does it really tell you anything about
which kind of feet I lick, or if I lick feet at all?

Is your problem merely the fact that the word has a semitic-perso-
arabic-hebraic origin, and that any word of that nature is by
association 'Muslim' then, (which of course, makes you so upset)
then, I am afraid you will have to do a lot of name changing, even
within the Kashmiri Pandit community, where traditional names like
Toshkhani, Bakhtawar, Durrani, Iqbal, Zorawar, Saraf, (all words with
respectably perso-arabic lineages) are fairly common first and second
names, especially if you go back a generation. Of course, you would
then, demand that Kashmir Muslims with fairly common second names
like Dar, Butt, and even, Pandit, also drop those names, because they
point to a Sanskritic, pre-Islamic lineage, which you no doubt would
want them not to sully.

That is a lot of work. Surely you could find more useful things with
which to occupy your enthusiasm and your energy. And, by the way, do
you have a problem with nudity? What exactly is wrong with the human
body? Which part of the human body, which is a sheath for the human
spirit, just as a name is a sheath for a person, needs to be excised
or amputated, for you to be satisfied?

regards

Shuddha

On 17-Aug-08, at 5:20 PM, inder salim wrote:

> Dear Aditya Raj Kaul,
>
> Your comment on my name reflects the sickness of our times; If you
> think my conceptual name is some CONFUSION then what about  Ram Rahim?
> Is Lal Ded's ' mov zaan haund tai musalman' a confusion? If it is so
> then yes, inder salim is a confusion, and I am humbly content with
> that.
>
> Your comment on nudity is also alarming. Is nudity in Hinduism an act
> of obscenity? As a good Brahmin boy, you must know what  'vastra'
> means in Hindu thought. The body itself is the garment, and the
> depiction of it leads to some radicalization of thought.

Shuddhabrata Sengupta