[Reader-list] TONITE! Dj Spooky, Cory Doctorow - Comic Book Legal Defense Fund Benefit

Paul Miller anansi1 at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 21 18:12:51 IST 2008

Hey you all - sorry about the last minute e-blast, but hey... it's
summer, and I've been traveling. Anyway.... tonite, me and Cory
Doctorow are doing a conversation about our new books. It's a benefit
for the Comic Book Legal Defense fund. Cory wrote the foreword to my
new book "Sound Unbound" and works extensively in the new media/
digital media scene. Trust me, there'll be lots of people from
different scenes...

Comic books are Kool!!!

IT'S A BENEFIT... But yeah, guestlist is flexible. We're expecting
quite a few people to the event and after party, so come on out!

7:30pm

Basic Description of what it's all about:
http://www.cbldf.org/pr/archives/000367.shtml

My new book is called "Sound Unbound" and It's about sound art,
digital media, and new compositional strategy. It has essays from
Brian Eno, Steve Reich, Chuck D, Hans Ulrich Obrist, Moby, Pierre
Boulez, Saul Williams, Bruce Sterling, Jonathan Lethem etc etc The
audio companion has rare material from Allen Ginsberg, James Joyce,
Ryuichi Sakamoto, Jean Cocteau,Gertrude Stein, Liam Gillick, Trilok
Gurtu, Sun Ra, George E. Lewis, Aphex Twin, Sonic Youth, Philip Glass,
Iggy Pop etc

Sound Unbound edited by
MIT Press (2008)
www.soundunbound.com

Brief Bios
Cory Doctorow is an activist, writer, blogger, and public speaker
about copyright, digital rights management, and electronic freedom.
As a co-editor of the Boing Boing blog, he highlights critical
technology issues for more than a million readers a day. Doctorow
has lectured around the globe and has been nominated for Hugo and
Nebula Awards for his science fiction novels. Doctorow was EFF's
European Affairs Coordinator until December of 2005 and is
currently an EFF Fellow. His most recent novel, Little Brother,
was released in April of this year to critical acclaim and
highlights the risks of trading freedom for security in a
networked world.

Paul D. Miller aka DJ SPOOKY is a composer, multimedia artist and
writer. His written work has appeared in The Village Voice, The
Source, Artforum and Rapgun amongst other publications. Miller's work
as a media artist has appeared in a wide variety of contexts such as
the Whitney Biennial; The Venice Biennial for Architecture (2000); the
Ludwig Museum in Cologne, Germany; Kunsthalle, Vienna; The Andy Warhol
Museum in Pittsburgh and many other museums and galleries. His work
"New York Is Now" has been exhibited in the Africa Pavilion of the 52
Venice Biennial 2007, and the Miami/Art Basel fair of 2007. Miller's
first collection of essays, entitled "Rhythm Science" came out on MIT
Press 2004. His book "Sound Unbound," an anthology of writings on
electronic music and digital media was recently released by MIT Press.
Miller's deep interest in reggae and dub has resulted in a series of
compilations, remixes and collections of material from the vaults of
the legendary Jamaican label, Trojan Records. Other releases include
Optometry (2002), a jazz project featuring some of the best players in
the downtown NYC jazz scene, and Dubtometry (2003) featuring Lee
'Scratch' Perry and Mad Professor. Miller's latest collaborative
release, Drums of Death, features Dave Lombardo of Slayer and Chuck D
of Public Enemy among others. He also produced material on Yoko Ono's
new album "Yes, I'm a Witch."