[Reader-list] Please Think Before You Write the Subject Line

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 23 16:50:36 IST 2008

Dear Shivam

It was gracious of you to apologise.

You have Shuddha to thank for pointing out the incongruity of the "Hindu Terrorism" subjectline. He provided you with an opportunity to apologise and redeem some credibility.

The sarcastic comment about "KP samskars" was one of the very many trite ones that you have made a habit of. Ignorable. Such comments only define your personality and character.

What is interesting is the 'deep anguish' the word Kashmiri Pandit (KP) seems to cause you and that seems to bring out the animal in you at it's unintelligent worst. Knee-jerk reactions. Psyche-jerk perhaps. Only you would know whether this seemingly instinctive attitude is because of pyschological scars from some traumatic personal experience or a result of your being indoctrinated/programmed to be that way. Such an attitude only contradicts your own expressed opinion that there is no homogenity in the various KP political opinions and attitudes. And yet ...

You have spoken about "non violent protests in the Valley". Admittedly there was not much of a 'physical violence' indulged in by the protestors. That does not make the "protests" benign and therefore immune to being categorised or treated with firmly. There has already been a very informed discussion on this between Shuddha and Sonia. (Use of force beyond the minimal required in the situation is condemnable and unacceptable.)

Violence does not always have to be 'physical'. I am sure you recognise the various forms that 'violence' can adopt. Psychological violence is easily understood. What needs to be understood (in context) is the violence against both the Psyche and Legalities of India. You Shivam could however argue that whatever be the form of 'violence' it is justified against India by the Kashmiris. You have done exactly towards the end of your post.

You have said that """"" even non-violent protests in the Valley are resulting in the Valley's Muslims being called 'terrorists' """"".

I am not sure that you are being factual. Yes, the 'protestors' have been called 'separatists' as perhaps many of them or most are. I do not recollect the 'protestors' having been called 'terrorists' in the mainstream media or by any serious commentator elsewhere or even on SARAI. Could you evidence otherwise to support your statement. Unless it is your own contention that "separatists" must be read interchangeably with "terrorists". If the "protestors" have been called "terrorists" by anyone (worth taking note of) then it has been sheer idiocy to do so.

My "idiocy" remark excludes the "Leaders" such as Geelani, Omar Farooq, Yasin etc being called terrorists. The deserve to be called that for their their involvement or support to 'acts of terror' or to 'terrorist organisations'.

Here I must say that it is my contention that the machinery of the "Indian State' has also aften acted as a 'terrorist' against the innocents in Kashmir.

You use an extremely poor argument in stating that "The condemnation of violence becomes the condemnation of politics.". You seem to suggest that if there is a "politics" then "violence" is a legitimate (not to be questioned or condemned) part of the "politics".

By your standards then if the Jammu agitationists have a "political position", as they certainly have (seeing that the Amarnath Land matter has brought in the 'politics' of Regional Imbalance), then "violence" by the Jammu agitationist is justified because of their "politics". Or that we should not condemn the "violence" of the Jammu agitationists just because it is linked to their "politics". Not just a poor argument but a ridiculous one (in my opinion).

Whatever your (not clear) objection is to the "Jammu is Burning" tag, by no stretch of imagination, or linguistic interpretation does it automatically suggest, as you put it, that "as if someone from outside Jammu had set it on fire." It could as much mean that Jammu has ben set afire by the Jammuites themselves.

Shivam (since Language fascinates me) what would you find factually wrong with the statement "Jammu is Burning - The controversy over the transfer of land to SASB has set Jammu afire" ?

I do not mean to belittle your apology. My comments are purely addressed to some of the other things you have said.

Kshmendra