[Reader-list] Oranges won't work anymore

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Mon Aug 25 01:37:04 IST 2008

The ex director of the CBI, also happens to get the name and persona
of the kidnapped daughter of Mufti Muhammad Syed. It wasn't Mehbooba
Mufti, it was her sister, Rubaiya Syed, then a medical student.
Rubaiya Syed never became the chief minister of Kashmir, Mehbooba
Mufti did.

In the case of an ordinary person, such a slip is perhaps
understandable. But the person making the slip happens to have
occupied the topmost echelons of a part of the so called 'security'
apparatus in India, and is a decorated and loquacious former police
officer. This gives us an accurate picture of how well the
bureaucrats and spin doctors who are attempting to manage Kashmir
actually know anything about what is going on in the ground. The
nakedness of their humbuggery is pretty evident.  It also gives us a
fairly reasonable idea of how seriously to take their conjectures and
figures.

regards,

Shuddha