[Reader-list] Husain Exhibition Attacked in Delhi

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Mon Aug 25 23:42:37 IST 2008

Dear Aditya,

I have stated many times, that I stand for the freedom of expression
of the Danish cartoonists. Exactly on the same grounds as I stand for
the freedom of expression of M.F. Husain, Salman Rushdie, Taslima
Nasrin and Aditya Raj Kaul.

The work of the danish cartoonists were instances of art that I do
not admire. I think they were in poor taste.
I think Husain is a mediocre painter. I think he is grossly overrated
as an artist.
I have mixed feelings about Taslima Nasrin. I think she says
important things some times, and sometimes she writes things that I
don't care for all. I think her statements about Islam are serious
and deserve to be read and discussed in all seriousness.
I think you write rubbish most of the time.

But I categorically state that the move to ban the publication of the
Danish cartoons is wrong. The move to ban the publication of Taslima
Nasrin's books is wrong. And any effort to silence you would be wrong.

And just as there are those who call for bans on Husain in the wide
world, there have been many on this list, who have asked for a ban on
you, because of what has been perceived as the violence and
disingenousness of your posts. This list has resisted these calls.
And I am one of those who has defended your right to say whatever
nonsense you may wish, both on the list and off the list, however
much it offends me (and it does, deeply, because you rarely use any
language other than slander and abuse) because I am passionately
committed to your right to publicly disagree with me, and with
everyone else. I think your expressions need to be criticized,
ruthlessly criticized if necessary. But they must be listened to.
Everyone must be listened to. And anyone who speaks, if they expect
to be heard, must learn to listen to things that are not pleasant or
palatable to them.

if you value the freedom that this list offers you to spread what I
consider to be your inanities, then you must learn also to value the
freedom that people must have to view M.F. Husain, and for M.F.Husain
to work, and to exhibit his work, as he sees fit.

Do not make the mistake of assuming that the only people who have
sensitivities are the ones who display the ornaments of their faith
conspicuously on their sleeves. Even doubters, sceptics and the
godless can get very touchy, and very angry, when it comes to anyone
trying to interfere with their freedom to celebrate their doubt.
Everyone has some things that are sacred to them.

I hope I have made myself abundantly clear.

regards,

Shuddha

I am actually committed to the defence of all kinds of imagination,
because I think that only