[Reader-list] Hit and Run

ambarien qadar ambarien at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 26 10:43:31 IST 2008

Dear All,

On 24th August at around 11am we were driving across the Maharani
Bagh-Ashram crossing (New Delhi) when a swanky black convertible screeched to a
halt at the left side. It has just hit headlong a nondescript
pedestrian, quite young and looking like those numerous workmen making
their way in the morning to some workshop in the bylanes around Ashram
Chowk.
I cannot tell the exact model and make of the car as it was something
one doesnt often come across on Delhi roads - a very expensive
low-slung Porsche look alike.
On the driving wheel was our famous socialite, and if one goes by our
english speaking television culture, the modern conscience of our new
urban nation, Mr Suhail Seth.
The man hit, looked unable to walk, and
sat there grabbing his ankles in pain. The social scene was
interesting, this being some very rich looking car the people around
looked very hesitant to confront the driver; had it been some familiar
maruti-like vehicle I'm sure it would have spelled disasters of
accountability for the driver.
I expected that Mr Seth would at least try to apologise, get down from
his car, and offer the man to be taken to some nearby first-aid
facility. But Mr Seth was almost shouting on the man and in a very
rushed manner backed-off the car, which anyways he looked quite less
adapt at handling - and maybe thats how the accident happened in the
first place! In no time then he sped off back into the avenue that
emerges out of New Friends Colony East that joins onto the Maharani
Bagh and Ashram section of the Ring Road.

Mr. Seth is a regular on NDTV's 'We The People' and in February 2006
he was moderating'The Status of Delhi in 2010' at the Vasant Vihar spring festival!!

Big car Mr. Seth but very small heart.

Ambarien Al Qadar