[Reader-list] Kesavan on Kashmir

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Fri Aug 29 13:29:08 IST 2008

Dear Rahul,

Thank you for your poser. And I hope that all readers will agree with
me when I say that it is precisely the kind of question that one
hopes to see more of on this list. I will try and get a handle on
this, but, as my grasp on technical matters in philosophy is poor, I
hope others who are more competent will join this discussion. Let me
first of all state that the word 'Azadi' or 'Freedom' which is used a
lot in discussions around Kashmir does not mean the same thing for
all those who use it. For some it means the freedom to oppress others
in an Islamist state, for some it means the freedom to oppress
oneself in a strong secular state (regardless of whether it calls
itself India or Kashmir). Even the CRPF bunkers in Srinagar often
have the following written on them 'Hum Kashmir Ki Azadi ki Hifazat
ke Khatir Yahan Hain', (we are here to protect the freedom of
Kashmir). So, technically, even the CRPF, which has been busy killing
unarmed protestors asking for 'Azadi' is doing so in the name of
'Azadi'.  For me, personally, it means the freedom not to be
oppressed, as far as is possible, by any state. We need to to keep
this spectrum or meanings and values  in mind when we debate the
choices apparently offered by Kesavan in his article, which was so
kindly forwarded by Sonia Jabbar, and commented on by Kshmendra Kaul
and Rahul Asthana.

I enjoyed reading Mukul Kesavan's article, because it helped me think
quite a few things through, even though I do not necessarily come to
the same conclusions (or non-conclusions, and i have no problem with
non-conclusions, they are often more useful than limiting conclusions).

After spelling out the case against India holding on to Kashmir he
says -

>> But there is a case against self-determination which needs to be
>> made, if only to clarify the consequence of endorsing
>> self-determination.

This is the kind of debate and discussion that we need. One that
weighs its options not based of inflexible pre-conceived positions,
but through a careful sifting of argument and reasoning.

As I am not a liberal, I cannot speak for liberals. But I appreciate
the principled stand that many liberals take in the defence of civil
liberty. Other liberals, I have noticed, tend to cling to the state,
(as a sort of lesser evil, I deliberately use the term 'lesser evil'
here because Kesavan uses it himself, to characterize what he thinks
are the motives governing the choices of those Indian commentators
who have spoken in favour of 'Azadi' for Kashmir. I do not agree with
this binary of 'lesser and greater evils' but, we can speak of that,
later). Mukul Kesavan, i think is trying to walk the very thin wire
between these two positions. To be fair, he has not explicitly told
us where his options lie, he has merely tried to tell us what he
thinks the options are. But in doing so he has given a reasonably
good idea of where he would place his bets - with a flawed,
compromised secular democratic ideal of India (which includes
Kashmir) as a 'lesser evil' (to use, again his own language) compared
to an independent Islamist statelet in Kashmir, or a Kashmir that
accedes to Pakistan.

However, characteristically, his options only take the form of either
this kind of state, or that kind of state. Either secular India, or
Islamist Kashmir, or an Islamist Kashmir within an Islamist Pakistan.
I think the limitation of this kind of thinking is that it ties the
options available to the people of Kashmir only in terms of what
Mukul Kesavan thinks operates currently on the ground. Why should we
have to agree that these indeed exhaust all possibilities. Self
proclaimed 'pragmatists' may think they do, but I am of the opinion
that it is the task of writers and intellectuals, and of all people
working with ideas and images and concepts, to begin working in areas
that so called 'pragmatists' cannot enter because of their own self
defined limits of what they think is or is not possible. The idea of
universal adult suffrage, (which is today considered the staple basis
of republican statehood) was once considered a laughably utopian
idea. But once you accept the necessity of a particular form of
political expression, then, you can begin to think about the most
practical means to achieve it in the shortest time. The trouble is,
as long as commentators think that the solutions to Kashmir, (or
Ossetia, or Chechnya, or whatever) lie only in a cloning, or
division, or consolidation, or integration of post-Westphalian
states, (and the gamut of proposals ranging from an independent
secular Kashmir, to an independent Islamist Kashmir, to an
Independent secular Jammu and Kashmir, to a Kashmir that accedes to
Pakistan, to a Kashmir that is held by India all fall along this
'state' centric spectrum) they are refusing to engage with the
possibility that it is precisely the 'form' of the nation-state that
is the wall on which a seemingly intractable reality like Kashmir
bangs its head, time and again. They refuse, in other words, to think
of any other 'form' by which peoples can live together in a given
territory. The spectre of the sovereign refuses to let go of them.
They may disagree violently over which state they wish to commit to,
but they are, in the end, all loyal to the idea of the sovereign.

In that sense, all these options, to me are, actually - deontological
and in some cases tend towards a kind of virtue ethics. I say this
because they argue not in terms of the consequences of the state
form, but in terms of our some kind of presupposed fidelity to one
form or the other of the state itself.

Elsewhere in his text, Kesavan also tries to make a weak teleological
or consequentialist argument, when he raises the spectre of what
happenned in Yugoslavia, or Sri Lanka as a caveat or warning to those
who argue for 'Azadi' for Kashmir. Here, I think he is on very
slippery ground. For every example of what goes wrong when nation
states disintegrate, there can be offered counter examples of what
continues to go wrong when nation states that ought not to be so
gargantuan in the first place continue to exist by force. The USSR's
prolonged existence as the inheritor of Czarist Russia's 'prison
house of nations' (barring a brief post 'Oktober 1917' interregnum
when the 'right to self determination' actually permitted the
separation of Finland, Poland, the Baltic Republics and even some
Central Asian territories) is an object lesson in the continued
suffering caused by the perpetuation by force of the Soviet/Russian
Imeperium. Kesavan invokes the Chechens, but not to mention that
Stalin's decision to 'wipe Chechnya off the Map' and to deport all
Chechens (and parts of other ethnicities) to forms of forced internal
exile, (in the name of the integrity of the Soviet Union under his
dictatorship) led to many hundreds of thousands of deaths, just as
many, if not more than what occurred consequent to the break-up of
Yugoslavia.

Kesavan goes on to give us another reason for opposing the
Kashmiri's  right to self determination. He says -

>> Alternately, he might oppose self-determination because he thinks
>> the Indian republic is a flawed but valuable experiment in
>> democratic pluralism, that the Indian national movement and the
>> nation-state it created, tried, in an
>> unprecedented way, to build a national identity on the idea of
>> diversity, not homogeneity

This is frankly, very poor reasoning. Once again, weak
consequentialism. It is arguing on the basis of one set of perceived
consequences against another set of imagined consequences. We do not
know yet, what an 'Azad' Kashmir is, or can be. As I said at the very
outset, it means very different things to very different people. In
the absence of a sure knowledge of what an entity can be if it comes
into existence, we cannot use our speculation of what we think it
might be, to argue against the desire to change what exists, when its
existence becomes unbearable.

Finally, again, it presumes that the democratic will of the Kashmiri
people is not really of consequence. Which is a kind of difficult
argument for a liberal to make. It is somewhat reminiscent of those
liberals in Britain, like John Stuart Mill, who believed that a
commitment to democracy at home, did not necessarily translate into a
commitment to democracy in the 'colonies'. This is the well known
'rule of colonial difference'.

Is Kesavan then offering, as his second option, a lame-liberalism,
all too reminiscent of the  liberals who wanted to maintain the
British Empire as a cricket, tea and sandwiches kind of utopia? Where
the natives could serve the tea and sandwiches, and someday, hope to
play cricket? Substitute the word British for Indian, and you will
know exactly what I mean. The tea, sandwiches and cricket can stay
the same.

regards

Shuddha

On 29-Aug-08, at 5:15 AM, Rahul Asthana wrote:

> I am tempted to toss a poser on the list.What kind of ethical
> framework is,or should be, more in congruence with the liberal line
> of thinking -teleological or deontological?
> http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQs/phil/blfaq_phileth_sys.htm
> P.S. I am fully well aware of the open ended nature of the
> question,but I think,trying to derive some kind of formalism from
> Kesavan's advice to liberals may churn up some interesting ideas.

Shuddhabrata Sengupta