[Reader-list] Ways of Life and Transgressions

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Fri Aug 29 13:31:21 IST 2008

Dear All,

I have been intrigued by the exchange on the list of late that has
preferred to jettison the term 'religion' and prefer in its stead the
euphimistic phrase - 'ways of life'. I am referring to the exchange
between Chanchal Malviya and Jeebesh Bagchi, arising out of the
heated correspondence on the disruption of a small exhibition devoted
to M.F.Husain.

i am quite convinced that the term 'religion'  which derives from the
latin root of the word religio (bond) and religare (the verb form of
'to bind') remains for me a useful word to name the act of committing
oneself in any form. In this sense, atheists and agnostics are just
as religious (in their commitment to doubt) as are those blessed with
faith. I would describe my religious commitment as agnosticism - a
commitment to doubt everything, (including the value of doubt) and a
certainty that we cannot speak certainly of anything at all, because
there are always counterfactuals, and hitherto unimagined, or unknown
possibilities, that goad us on to yet newer possibilities, or to
return to some very old ones. This is just to say that it would be a
mistake to assume, as is often done with some arrogance on the part
of the more pronouncedly 'faithful', that atheists and agnostics have
no 'spiritual' quests. They do, and they dont, just as those who are
ostentatiously 'religious' do, and dont, or do only in as much as it
allows them to burn a few churches as they go questing. If Hindu
fundamentalists have chosen to renounce the ties that bind (religio)
them to life, who would I be to object, because, I am not a Hindu.
But I have no quarrel with the term 'ways of life'. The more words we
have, the better.

This discussion arose out of a rage felt by some that a group of
zealots had broken and disrupted an exhibition that featured some
images of and by Husain, and the counter rage felt by others that the
zealots had no right to be criticised because they were acting to
protect the honour of the Hindu deities that they felt Husain had
insulted.

The second case is as follows - what right has Husain, a Muslim to
insult Hindu deities by portraying them in a manner that is offensive
to the sentiments of many Hindus. (Husain's motivations, or the
aesthetic merit of his images are not the issue here, what is at
issue is the insult seen to have occurred when a non-Hindu 'touches'
a sacred Hindu icon with his 'insulting' imagination. Those so
enraged, also throw the following challenge, has the opposite ever
occurred?

I am not here to make a case for Husain. (As I have said before I do
not have a very high opinion of his work as an artist). I am here to
make a case for what is considered to be transgression. No one can be
sure when they have transgressed. Because transgression can be seen
to occur even when the motives of the person concerned are far from
transgression. Husain can say in his defence, and indeed has on
occasion said that his paintings are an index of his appreciation of
Indic culture and its diversity of expressions, of his closeness
(since early childhood) to forms of iconic imagery in popular Hinduism.

Here his intent is clearly not to insult, on the contrary, it is to
declare his appreciation for the beauty of the iconography of popular
Hinduism, a charge for which he would be equally hated by both Hindu
as well as Muslim fundamentalists.

It has not been noticed that no Muslim fundamentalist or even Muslim
religious figure has come out in defence of Husain. They are in fact
in tacit agreement with their Hindu peers. A Muslim making images,
and that too of Hindu goddesses, because he is drawn to them, can
only be seen as blasphemy in their eyes. On this, like on so many
other issues, Hindu and Muslim fundamentalists are in total agreement.

Let me come now to an interesting counterfactual argument. I refer to
the life an work of a little known late nineteenth century and early
twentieth century Urdu poet of Delhi called Dillu Ram Kausari. Now as
his name suggests, Dillu Ram was a Hindu. The trouble is, throughout
his life he composed deliriously passionate elegies (na'at)  to the
Prophet Muhammad.

One of his quatrains went as follows

Kuch ‘ishq e Muhammad mein nahin shart e Musulman!
Hai Kausari Hindu bhii talabgaar e Muhammad!
Allah re! kyaa raunaq e bazaar e Muhammad
Ke Ma’bood e Jahan bhi hai kharidaar e Muhammad!

Being a Muslim is not a condition for loving Muhammad!
Kausari, the Hindu, is also a seeker of Muhammad!
By Allah! How delightful is the bazaar of Muhammad
For the Lord of the Worlds is also a buyer of Muhammad!

This kind of sentiment shocked both Hindus and Muslims. Hindus,
because how could a Hindu sing what amounted to love songs to a
Muslim prophet, and Muslims, for the same reason. Both felt slighted
and insulted by the transgressive way in which the imagination of the
poet had 'touched' the body of what was sacred for one, and not, for
the other.

Another poem, which proved to be even more controversial, went like
this -

Rahmatulilalamin kay Hashar mein maana’ khulay
Khalq saari Shaafa e Roz e Jaza kay saath hai
Laykay Dillu Raam ko jannat mein jab Hazrat gaye
Ma’loom huwa kay Hindu bhi Mahboob e Khuda kay saath hai!

The meaning of “Mercy unto the Worlds” became apparent on Judgement Day:
The whole creation is with the Intercessor of The Day of Acquittal
When the Prophet took Dillu Ram with him into Paradise
It was known that this Hindu too is with the Beloved of God!

This poem, especially scandalized Muslim orthodoxy, because it dared
to suggest that the prophet himself would intercede on behalf of an
unbeliever on the day of judgement.

It is interesting to note that Dillu Ram never became a Muslim, at
least not in his lifetime. An article in the interesting web portal
Chowk  http://www.chowk.com/articles/12692 by one Asif Naqshbandi says

"It is also said that Dillu Ram, delirious with his love, would
sometimes stand in the middle of the bazaar in Delhi, put chains
around his neck and feet and shout at the top of his voice to all
passers-by, “Muhammad! Muhammad! Muhammad! Yes! Muhammad is the
Beloved of God! Muhammad is the first and only Beloved of God! If God
loves you, He loves you because of His Beloved!” Some people even
stoned him and he would often come home covered in blood but he was
totally lost in his love of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon
him!)"

There is an apocryphal story of how on his deathbed Dillu Ram Kausari
had a vision of the Prophet himself, who came to him, and that he
read the Kalima with him. But as this vision is reported to have
appeared only to him, as he lay dying, and as he is no longer with us
to either confirm or deny this deathbed conversion, we can only
surmise that it was a generous, but somewhat disingenuous method of
having Dillu Ram's somewhat unorthodox Muslim apologists claim him
for themselves.

As far as we are concerned, Dillu Ram Kausari, caused grave offence,
by his love for the Prophet, both to Hindu as well as to Muslim
zealots, as long as he lived.

If, the things we call religions are 'ways of life' then we can
always determine for ourselves whether we want to walk on a one way
street that runs into a dead end, or to cross many paths, walking
down one way, for one purpose, down another way for another, and
sometimes just standing in between paths, figuring out our journey,
as we go about our lives.

I find cases like Husain and Dillu Ram Kausari interesting not
because of what they paint of what they say, but because they seem to
cause such prolonged traffic jams on the 'ways of life'. And all they
were doing was crossing the road.

thanks and regards,

Shuddha

-----