[Reader-list] Aug 30: Dharna on Kashmir at Jantar Mantar

Shivam Vij शिवम् विज् mail at shivamvij.com
Fri Aug 29 21:35:37 IST 2008

Forwarded message:

Janahastakshep, PUCL and PUDR  are holding a dharna on August 30 at
jantar mantar from 11am to 1pm in protest against the crackdown on non
violent people demanding 'azadi'.

IT is clear that only way in which Indian state restore its authority
is by using coercive means. It is a form of collective punishment of
the people that indefinite and unrelenting curfew has been imposed.
Already reeling under economic blockade the imposition of curfew is
making it worse with even hospitals not being allowed to function
fully and attacks on ambulances and injured. Food is in short supply.
Water and electricity disrupted. No one is allowed to move about even
with curfew passes and there are restrictions placed on media. For 18
years it was told by Indian state and Indian opinion makers that if
only the movement sheds weapons talks can be held. When that happened
and largely non violent protests began instead of heeding the voice of
the people and reaching out to them through talks the Indian state has
decided to show its iron fist. Right to life and right to live in
dignity stands suspended. Are we going to sit silently when such harsh
measures are adopted? Do we want guns to make their reappearance as
the Indian state is provoking the people to do? IF we believe that
unity of people and their aspirations are our major concern should we
not come out in solidarity and support for their cause which they were
carrying out peacefully?

Please spread the word to gather at jantar mantar on saturday August
30 at 11 am  to protest the severe repression let loose on the people.

WE intend to demand lifting of curfew. Restoration of civil liberties.
Allowing non violent assembly. Talks with people at the highest level
so that 61 years of denial, repression, charade of  dialogue,
manipulation is discarded and substantive progress is made to
democratically and peacefully resolve the intractable problem.

Janahastakshep, PUCL, PUDR