[Reader-list] Ways of Life and Transgressions

Rahul Asthana rahul_capri at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 31 23:54:11 IST 2008

Yousuf,

I think i failed in getting my point across.No amount of "education" would make Hussein's art appreciated by some,and those who are offended by Hussein's art are no less "educated" than you or me.
Unless you get rid of your condescension about educating people about what they should or shouldn't get offended by,any discussion about solution to conflicts like this is a non-starter.

I am going to make one last try though.

Say there are two groups A and B,with different value systems.A is offended by an act X and B is not,apparently due to their different value systems. B encourages X and this increases tensions in a society where A and B live together.Lets see what are the possible solutions.

1.Both A and B tell each other to go take a hike and they would do according to how they feel fit.
2.Both A and B are sure that their value systems are superior and they try to convert each other to their own view points through dialog etc.
3.Both A and B recognize that there are irreconcilable differences in their world views.They also recognize that they would respect the differences and try to honor them to the extent possible while also trying to achieve their own goals through whatever means possible.

If liberal fanatics like you will keep on engaging in #2,(which in my opinion is even worse than #1 because #1 does not involve condescension) that you are doing right now,you will always enable religious fanatics from the other side who will try to convert you to their view point.Why is their stand less valid than yours?
If you engage in #3 ,you will enable moderates from the other side who will listen to you if you listen to them.
The big leap of understanding that you need to make is that there can be two internally consistent value systems which will lead to opposing positions on many issues,and both these value systems are equally valid.

Regards
Rahul