[Reader-list] Should we sleep?

Nehal Gandhi nehal7 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 1 20:49:17 IST 2008

My family friend's 17-year old
daughter pens down an ode and raises a question that requires a
justified answer. Are we prepared to give an answer to the coming
generation who looks up to us for direction, advise and leadership or
are we also termed as the 'spineless' creatures just like our
predecessors?

Can You Sleep?
You hear gunshots in places you had dinner last week,
>From a window, you seek blood leak.
You hear live gunshots, explosions and screams.
Outside your window, you see commandos and army trucks pass by.
You feel like its a movie,
but what you are seeing is reality.

Can You Sleep?

You see 'fresh blood stains' on TV,
And you are thinking, "It could have been me"
You see babies being rescued,
You see eye-witnesses breaking down,
and then you see politicians do nothing but frown.

Can You Sleep?

While you are listening to the sound of an innocent cry,
"many more will die",
are the healing words of a terrorist.

I ask you,
Can You Sleep?

While you hear of the coming hurricane in the next year or two,
you hear a new born baby coo,
and you are wondering why he was ever born,
will he ever see the brightest morn?

Can You Sleep?

While people are killed, with joy, some hearts are filled.
The Earth cracks,
The Earth is famished,
The Earth is parched,
Bombs explode, animosity grows,
The blame flies around,
Bodies fall to the ground,

Can You Sleep?

In the midst of this reality, you see politicians asking for votes,
trying to win you with their flowery quotes.

I do not ask you if you can sleep,
I now ask you:

SHOULD YOU SLEEP?

Niharika Vazirani, 17