[Reader-list] Muslims -- India's new 'untouchables'

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 2 13:46:25 IST 2008

Dear Naeem

1. If the position of Muslims in India is as terrible as it is made out to be, why is it that Muslims from Bangladesh in substantially large numbers have made India their home by illegal ingress and continue to do so?

2. There are quite a few Indian Muslims in the Gulf. Many of them are as rich as any Indian from any other faith. If they wanted to, these rich Indian Muslims could shed all their interests in India and emigrate not just with family but whole clans to countries where "residence through investment" can be secured. They do not. I personally do not know of even one such example. Why do they not if the position of Muslims in India is as terrible as is being suggested?

3. When Muslims in India make it to the 'directly elected by people' legislatures and do so not solely on the basis of the 'Muslim Vote', it suggests that things cannot be too terrible for Indian Muslims.

Are Muslims as a minority disadvantaged in India? Of course they are but that is not something peculiar happening with Indian Muslims only. That is true of a minority in any part of the world especially when the 'available cake' is not large enough.

It is true of Non-Muslim 'minorities' (on the basis of caste or faith) in many parts of India itself.

The exclusions to this are where a 'minority' grouping has created it's own strong institutional framework to 'look after their own'. Cases in example are the Parsis, Bohris, Aga Khanis.

Minorities in any part of the world in most countries find themselves best catered to through "Self-Employment of Professionals", "Individual Enterprise", "Individual Entrepreneurship". They find themselves exceling where full dividends being realised from the skills of the individual are not slave to governmental or even corporate structures.

In India this is certainly true in the fields Fine Arts, Performing Arts and Sports apart from Doctors and Lawyers and Accountants etc. But it is also true for India that many Muslims have reached many high positions in government and corporate structures.

These "Oh! my poor suffering Muslim brothers and sisters" articulations from "abroad" such as Asra Nomani's only do harm to Muslims and seek to create divides. They seek to stoke trouble.  We have seen that happening  with the Sikhs and now also with the Hindus. They are enemies of India.

Kshmendra