[Reader-list] Military strike against Pak terror camps an option: India

Aditya Raj Kaul kauladityaraj at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 20:54:30 IST 2008

Will these words transform into some kind of action in near future. My 12
years neighbour Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam used to tell me, 'Dreams Transform
Thoughts Into Action..". I firmly believe in this axiom.

At this moment, I am just hoping against hope...

*Military strike against Pak terror camps an option: India
<http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/mumbaiterrorstrike/Story.aspx?ID=NEWEN20080074968&type=News#>
*

 NDTV Correspondent
 Tuesday, December 02, 2008 4:42 PM (New Delhi)

In an exclusive interview to NDTV External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee
has not ruled out the option of military strikes against terror camps in
Pakistan.

Mukherjee said that every country has the right to protect its territorial
integrity and take appropriate action when necessary. He also said that it
has become difficult to continue the peace process with Pakistan in this
atmosphere.

*NDTV:* Are we thinking about the military option at all?
*External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee:* As and when it takes place,
people will come to know, it's not publicized.

*NDTV:* So, you are not ruling it out?
*External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee:* I am not making any comment on
the military option, what I am saying is that every sovereign country has
the right to protect its territorial integrity and take appropriate action
and when it feels necessary to take that appropriate action.

*NDTV:*Has the peace process suffered a big setback?
*External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee:* Yes it has vitiated the
atmosphere. There was also the Kabul attack and now Mumbai attack; naturally
the atmosphere is vitiated. While we have no intention of not carrying on
with the peace process, but definitely when peoples' sentiments are affected
and it creates an atmosphere not to carry on business as usual, it has some
impact. These incidents and if these are not adequately addressed by the
other side, create an atmosphere that's difficult to carry on normal
business including the peace process.

*India asks Pak to hand over fugitives*

*PTI adds:* Sending a tough message, Mukherjee said India has demanded the
handing over of LeT chief Hafiz Mohammad and other fugitives in Pakistan in
the wake of Mumbai terror attacks and would await Islamabad's response.

"Now, we have in our demarche asked (for) the arrest and handover of those
persons who are settled in Pakistan and who are fugitives of Indian law,"
External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee said on the sidelines of a
function to inaugurate the India-Arab Forum.

Pakistan's High Commissioner to India Shahid Malik was summoned by the
Ministry<http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/mumbaiterrorstrike/Story.aspx?ID=NEWEN20080074968&type=News#>of
External Affairs yesterday and issued a demarche (protest note).

"...there are lists of about 20 persons. (These) lists are sometimes altered
and this exercise<http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/mumbaiterrorstrike/Story.aspx?ID=NEWEN20080074968&type=News#>is
going on and we have renewed it in our demarche," Mukherjee said
adding
India "will await" Pakistan's response.

India has handed over to Pakistan a list of 20 terrorists, including
Lashkar-e-Taiba chief Hafiz Mohammad and Jaish-e-Mohammad chief Masood Azhar
besides Dawood Ibrahim, who are based in that country and are suspected to
be behind terror attacks in India.

Investigations into the three-day Mumbai terror strikes that left 183 dead
have shown that the plan to carry out the attacks was hatched in Pakistan,
suspectedly by Lashkar-e-Toiba and the perpetrators of the ghastly act came
from Karachi by ships and
boats<http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/mumbaiterrorstrike/Story.aspx?ID=NEWEN20080074968&type=News#>
.

Asked about US President-elect Barack Obama's suggestion that India has a
"right to protect" itself, Mukherjee said "what will be done, time will show
and you will come to know."

Islamabad has been in a denial mode but India says it has hard evidence to
show Pakistani link.

New Delhi's outrage was voiced by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who said
India will not tolerate use of territories by its neighbours for launching
attacks in this country and that there will be a "cost" to it.

The US is also building pressure on Pakistan, with Secretary of
State<http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/mumbaiterrorstrike/Story.aspx?ID=NEWEN20080074968&type=News#>Condoleezza
Rice who arrives here tomorrow for talks with Indian leaders,
saying Islamabad must "follow evidence wherever it leads" and lend
"absolute" and "transparent" cooperation to New Delhi in the probe into the
Mumbai terror strikes.

On the solidarity shown by the world leaders, including the US
President-elect, with India in the aftermath of the Mumbai incidents, the
External Affairs Minister said: "We appreciate the responses which we have
received from all over the world, including Obama."