[Reader-list] For those who HATE Pakistan

Javed javedmasoo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 10:10:43 IST 2008

Dear Inder
You are insisting so much about Iqbal's role in the creation of
Pakistan, but it is hotly debated these days whether he really gave
the idea of Pakistan or not. Although in one of his speeches he did
talk about a separate state governed by the Muslims, but he never
imagined it would become the Pakistan as we see it today. In fact in a
letter to one of British friends he later on clarified that he did not
give the idea of a separate country for Muslims which the people are
attributing to him. I don't have the correct reference to that
correspondence now, but maybe I will find and send you soon. Here are
some excerpts from another essay which raise some doubts about whether
it was really Iqbal who gave the idea of Pakistan:

"Iqbal's conception of a modern Muslim state- which emerges from the
Reconstruction of Religious Thought in Islam is of a state run by
representatives elected by the people. In addition to the supreme
legislative body, the parliament, including the Non-Muslim members,
was also to be the Grand National Ijtehad Council which would meet to
modernise Islamic traditions, civil code and criminal code. The reason
why his book was denounced unanimously by the Mullahs was because they
saw that Iqbal favored giving the state the power to completely change
Islam according to modern times. For example he argued that the state
could ban polygamy and that would be perfectly Islamic...

Thus it is quite clear - from his lectures atleast- that Iqbal was not
against representative rule.

It is also quite clear that he himself used the terms "Social
Democracy" and "Spiritual Democracy", the former being a system of
government and society that sought create equitable distribution of
power, wealth and participation and the latter a system of religious
"movement" which ensured the constant updation of religious tradition.

Infact Iqbal's famous idea of a "separate Muslim state in North West
of India" in 1930 was not inspired by any attempt at achieving group
rights or a group-identity consciousness etc but rather the idea that
just like Judaeo-Christian ethics have colored the otherwise secular
legal systems of the west, Islamic ethics should get a chance to
develop and modernise in a similar fashion in a state of its own.

Thus what he was presumably afraid of was the lack of a moral basis
for the democratic system. (Ironically similar fears were raised
Gandhi in India but Gandhian Religious Moral Philosophy was not
allowed any constitutional expression by Dr. Ambedkar). Allama Iqbal
favored hyphenated democracy of sorts- a democracy limited by morality
determined by Islamic ethics.

While in my view this idea is inherently flawed but it is clear that a
majority of Muslims around the world agree with Iqbal's idea, what
they don't agree with is Iqbal's liberal interpretation of Islamic law
and his readiness to do away with what they consider to be the central
motif of islam. The reason why no one mentions Allama Iqbal's views on
democracy because the current pro-Democracy movement is not concerned
with the issues that have been mentioned above. The current
pro-Democracy movement wants representative civilian rule. Whether
this representative rule would be limited by Islamic ethics or human
reason is an issue that is irrelevant to the movement.

Truth be told Iqbal's stature has been enhanced by the state each
passing year. He is no longer just the national poet and philosopher
but is now a founding father equal to Mahomed Ali Jinnah in the
official state pantheon. How is it that Allama Iqbal- who passed away
2 years before the Pakistan Movement officially kicked off- is held
today in equal esteem to Jinnah ?

There is no question that Allama Iqbal was widely respected as the
foremost Muslim poet since Hali. But there has been considerable
exaggeration when it comes to giving him credit for Pakistan's
creation. According to "Plain Mr. Jinnah" a collection of Jinnah's
personal correspondence, a Muslim League volunteer found Iqbal's
letters to Jinnah in some corner of Jinnah's legal library in his
house in Bombay, after the 1940 resolution. The first edition of
Iqbal-Jinnah Correspondence, published by the Muslim League, is from
1941 or 1942.

In my opinion from the period 1947-1958, Iqbal was celebrated as a
great poet but not for anything else. It was 1958 onwards that the
revision of Iqbal as a founding father began. There are several
reasons for it. One major reason is that Army, as an institution, has
at best always been uncomfortable with Mahomed Ali Jinnah's memory. A
lawyer-politician and parliamentarian as the founding father and the
"Quaid-e-Azam" has always given the army people a bit of a kick in the
balls. Ayub in particular , it is said, could never get over Jinnah's
chilly rebuke to army officers (when they complained about British
officers) informing them that it was civilians who made policy and not
army men. Especially after the threat posed by Fatima Jinnah in 1965,
the army realised that Pakistan with a single memory cannot be good
for them.

Allama Iqbal in contrast provided a much more workable situation. The
Iqbalian concepts of "Mard-e-Momin" and "Shaheen" (even though Iqbal's
Mard-e-Momin and Shaheen could be civilians) were used- much in the
same way Nazis used Nietzche's "Superman"- to invent the "Super-Fauji"
who could dodge bullets and travel at the speed of light ... all the
while managing a pathetic little country like ours.

If Pakistan's 60 years are mapped in terms of Allama Iqbal promotion,
the graph would be highest under Ayub, Zia and Musharraf. The Ulema -
including people like Dr. Israr- the same sort Iqbal had warned
against- have also had good reason to own Iqbal. Much of Iqbal's
poetry is recited by the Ulema because it speaks of Islamic glory
etc."

(My posts to Sarai are not appearing for some reason: could you post
this on my behalf - thanks)