[Reader-list] Sydney Artist Fuses Islam with Surfboards

Paul Miller anansi1 at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 7 00:47:13 IST 2008

As the art market collapses, and people run for cover from the fast
paced approach of a collision of fundametalisms... hey! where's the
best place to seek cultural understanding?
Paul

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7769028.stm

Sydney art fuses surf with Islam
By Nick Bryant
BBC News, Sydney

Phillip George wants to bring Islamic art to a wider audience

An Australian artist has produced a range of Islamic surfboards in an
attempt to create a greater understanding between East and West.

Phillip George was inspired by his trips to the Middle East and by
riots in 2005 when Lebanese Australians were targeted on a beach in
Sydney.

He has called the range the Inshallah - or God Willing - surfboards
and has put them on exhibition in Sydney.

There are 30 surfboards in all, each adorned with intricate Islamic
motifs.

Mr George hopes that the Inshallah surfboards can help bridge cultural
and religious misunderstandings within Australia.

His inspiration has come from his travels and also from the Cronulla
riots, when a crowd of mainly white Australians gathered at a
beachside suburb of Sydney and targeted people of Middle Eastern
appearance.

This is an attempt to fuse the Australian beach culture with the
Islamic culture, he says.

The boards are adorned with intricate patterns from Islamic culture
"What I've done to bring the joy and the interest of our Islamic art
to an Australian audience," said Mr George.

"I have actually transposed a lot of my photographic images - the work
of the tiles and shots of the mosque - on to a surfboard so that they
become a lot more acceptable or easy to digest for an Australian
audience."

The exhibition, Borderlands, is at the Casula Powerhouse arts centre
near Sydney.

All the surfboards face Mecca, and visitors have included
schoolchildren from Cronulla, a mainly white suburb, and pupils from
Sydney's Islamic schools.

This is not the first time that symbols of the Australian beach
culture have been used in this way.

A local designer has already brought out what she calls a burqini - a
full-length swim suit to make Muslim women feel more comfortable at
the beach.