[Reader-list] Confession note by the lone captured terrorist from the Mumbai Mayhem

Kath O'Donnell aliak77 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 13:43:38 IST 2008

so is this right.. (likely I'm simplifying too much & don't understand
the background properly & perhaps this isn't the place to discuss it?)
the guy comes from a troubled home, goes from getting Rs200 per day
(roughly AUS$6/US$4) working, wants to make more cash. meets a friend
& they decide to rob houses to make more money. gets paid Rs200 to
goto a training camp where he then gets food, accomodation, religious
teachings & training & hangs out with other guys/mates. do they do
this for free or get paid, or for accom&food/better than paying for
rent elsewhere? (it didn't mention if he got paid whilst training).

maybe the govt needs to look at this as a cause - what other options
are there for wayward kids instead of them going to these training
camps? it almost makes it sound like he got caught up with the wrong
crowd - he should have stayed with the catering/labouring jobs. plenty
of others would be paid as little as this & not revert to training
camps & then go off & kill people. how popular are these camps? & does
anyone try to shut them down? do the kids know these are effectively
suicide training camps? or do they think they're going to come back
and then leave the group & go on to rob houses or something else with
their weapons training.  if it wasn't so awful it'd almost be sad that
he/they reverted to this and couldn't try other options like working
for a living. (obviously there'd be a lot of things going on not
mentioned in the transcript). his story/transcript brings back the
thought that he's a person doing these terrible things instead of the
nameless 'terrorists' label which almost seem impersonal/non-human. it
makes me sad even more, not only for the people lost but for the
people who feel this is their only option and the ones leading them
who must have so much hate in their lives to cause so much
destruction. to me it's not a religious issue as no religion I've come
across condones this type of behaviour so it makes me sad too when
people are mistakenly associated with these things too when they seem
worlds apart.

what happened to his friend Muzzaffa Lal Khan & his brother Afzal -
they didn't seem to be in the list of 10? were they part of the 13 (10
names in list + Afzal + Muzzaffa + Ajmal (confessing)) then dropped
from the mumbai team? and the 2nd team list has Abu Umar (Ismail in
original list of 10) but he says he & Ismail were partners (1st team).
and the others in the camp not selected for the mumbai team.

kath

from : http://www.rediff.com/news/2008/dec/11mumterror-confession-of-caught-terrorist-mumbai.htm