[Reader-list] Fwd: Intizar Husain on Husaini Brahmins

yasir ~يا سر yasir.media at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 11:33:13 IST 2008

Dear Kashmendra,

I dont know the the history of the Hazratbal hair. but you are overstating
or even misstating the shia sunni divide on the question of Hussain.

Most sunnis revere Hussain and his fight to death against Yazid son of
Muawiya. During the Muharram month/s you will hear Sunni sermons eulogizing
the sacrifice and mourning the deaths of the prophet's family and friends.
The account of the events by Zainul abedin (the next Imam, and Hussain's
son) of the events is read as a text in sunni religious seminaries. Sunnis
may also participate with Taziyas and attend 'Shia' Majalis, or just watch
them on TV etc. They may or may not accord the same level of reverence to
karbala as shias, some of whom also go overboard with the case.

That said, there are certain sunni sub-sects, among them particularly the
ahle Hadith (aka wahhabi), and certain historical naqshbandis (mujaddid alf
saani) who may consider shias heretics, kaafirs etc, virtually on par with
deniers such as 'hindus'. I dont think this strain is the most common
although occasionally one runs into them - most are in the consensual
middle. Not surprisingly this strain (the tendency you have described) is
around in jihadist / extremist outfits.

best