[Reader-list] Life in a parallel universe - By Irfan Husain in DAWN

kabi cubby sherman cubbykabi at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 15 12:51:40 IST 2008

kshmendra,

I have reread your posting a few times. I think I understand your logic but if I am going up the wrong path, am interested in where I read it incorrectly.

You are saying:
-there are people in india who think this way - such attitudes exist
-because of the attacks, all emotions are heightened - lethal self-igniting cocktail
-in light of that, it was perhaps foolishly (dangerously?) idealistic to have an action about the importance of peace, the uselessness and counter-productivity of war and the oneness of the people of bombay, that included dadar tt as a site because it is on the central line which terminates at vt.

I surmise you didnt go to the urls provided and see the route map of the human chain...... following what I take to be your logic, one of the 2 chains should not have gone past VT, should not have gone up mohammad ali rd - ambedkar rd - sion- because the central line stations follow these roads and that this extremely provocative behaviour of  advocating peace and the oneness of bombay citizens might whip of the emotions of people who think this way and use the trains that terminate at vt.

are you then saying
the chain that went up the western side of the city is ok because the western line terminates at churchgate, not vt, therefore those people wont feel provoked?
that in the spirit of we are all together, all mumbaikars, sab ek hai, that the routes should have skipped certain neighborhoods and areas?
that it is dangerously provocative to advocate for peace on the ground (I assume you think its OK to write articles either print or electronic since they are experienced at a remove)
that the 60,000 people who participated in the human chain, including our part that stretched from dadar tt to hindmata made up of school kids and adults and some spontaneous joinings from the street should not have come out because of the fear of lethal self-igniting cocktails. or the 50+ civil society groups should not have organised the event because it is lethal?
or its ok to come out but not at dadat tt? then its provocative
or is it not ok all along the central line? esp VT station (it went from nariman house, thru colaba, past taj, past cst, past bmc, to metro, to crawford market and up) - it shouldnt have gone past these sites of remembrance because of the provocative message)
it also shouldnt have gone on peddar rd on the western side because people there, one might assume, frequent both the taj and the oberoi? and it shouldnt have started at the oberoi where the staff came out and joined the chain?
you get my point I am sure.

exactly what are you saying? to stay silent? or to say silent in certain areas? or that, knowing there are people like this only, not to be surprised when confronted with this demonising response. in this i agree. I am not surprised.

as I said, these personal anecdotes do continue to happen here in bombay even without human chains, just in the day to day encounters on trains and in public spaces. what I was responding to in my original post was your sentence that there has been no communal demonising. I was pointing out that this isn't true here. but maybe we differ in our definition of communal demonising. maybe you mean actual physical violence or public articulation of that demonisation in the media and in speeches where it is unwrapped and displayed for the consumption of many, instead of in private one-on-one interactions.

and just an aside, that doesnt have direct bearing on what I have written above. I understand the term ladies when labeling things - like ladies room, or ladies car on the trains. but when you write 'lets bring in the 7 ladies' it sounds so condescending. it a diminuative. we are women.

best
kabi

Meter Down - काली पीली कि कहानी
podcast: http://feeds.feedburner.com/meterdown