[Reader-list] Fwd: Adda - Film Club Screening of Ek Dozen Paani (2008) at 6pm on 17th December 2008, at Room No. V, TISS

Shilpa Phadke phadkeshilpa at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 17:51:31 IST 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: adda.cmcs at gmail.com <adda.cmcs at gmail.com>
Date: 14 Dec 2008 22:33

Welcome to Adda once again. We start our screenings this new semester
with
Ek Dozen Paani (2008)
6 p.m.
17th of December 2008
Room No. V in TISS.

In Mumbai we witness the passage of water from rain to sea via lakes,
watersheds, pipes, pumps, pots, human and animal bodies, drains and
sewers. These hidden passages describe a unique social, chemical and
political structure, a map of ourselves in the modern world.

More than many of us, residents in the bastis of Jogeshwari spend time
arranging this substance, its leaks and sources.  As part of an
investigation into the social life of water in these areas,  Ek Dozen
Paani is a collaborative project between youth of two community
organizations- Aakansha Sewa Sangh and Agaaz, Arts Collective CAMP and
anthropologist Nikhil Anand.

Working together since March 2008, we have been thinking through
questions of citizenship and distribution by looking at how residents
form relationships with water and its infrastructures: including
official water supply, the rains, alternative plumbing, ground water,
nallas, and so on.

As the name of the film suggests, water has several narrative flows.
The films have been made with the youth groups shooting on their own,
bringing their footage into a collective pool, and writing over images
in analytical, diarisitic or essay styles. These twelve stories speak
of water's time and place, of leaky systems and subterranean flows, of
struggle and/over imagination.

A discussion with the  filmmakers will follow the screening.
Groups "Adda - The Film Club of the Centre for Media and Cultural
Studies, TISS" group.
adda_cmcs+unsubscribe at googlegroups.com<adda_cmcs%2Bunsubscribe at googlegroups.com>
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/adda_cmcs?hl=en