[Reader-list] What Antulay actually said. At the start of it all.

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 22 19:36:41 IST 2008

What did Antulay actually say about the killing of Hemant Karkare? What started the controversy?

A spin is being put on Antulay's first remarks on this topic, by Antulay himself, his fellow Congressites and others. Some spin on this List too.

Given below are the quotes from various news reports (quoted as quotes from Antulay in the reports).

Kshmendra

- “Karkare found that there are non-Muslims involved in acts of terrorism... "

- "Any person going to the roots of terror has always been the target"

- "There is more than what meets the eye."

- "Superficially speaking, they (the terrorists) had no reason to kill Karkare. Whether he (Karkare) was a victim of terrorism or terrorism plus something, I do not know,”

- “I can’t say who killed him,” Antulay said. “I leave it you. But you remember what all was said against the poor man. He was an upright officer. I know a bandh call was given against him before he was killed.”

- “somebody wanted Karkare killed”

- “Somebody who knew both the ends sent him (Karkare) in the wrong direction otherwise why should he have gone to Cama hospital? He should have gone to Taj, Oberoi or Nariman House. He went to such a place where there was nothing compared to what was happening in these three places. He went to the Cama hospital on the basis of a phone call. Who is that person who made the phone call? This should be probed.”

1. http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/Karkare-a-victim-of-terrorism-plus-something-Antulay/399670/

2. http://indiatoday.digitaltoday.in/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22869&sectionid=4&Itemid=1&issueid=84

3. http://www.headlinesindia.com/state-news/maharashtra/storm-as-antulay-sees-conspiracy-in-karkare-death-4223.html

4. http://www.rediff.com/news/2008/dec/17antulay-karkare-malegaon-mumbai.htm