[Reader-list] AMCHI MUMBAI’ – ‘OUR MUMBAI’ by Lalita Ramdas

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 16:49:50 IST 2008

Dear All,

Here is a text by Lalita Ramdas reflecting on the events in Bombay,
which I found salutary for its sanity, and wanted to share with
eveyone on this list. Unfortunately, the voices calling insanely for
yet another Indo-Pak armed confrontation, that could escalate into
war, have not yet died down. And neither the governments of India,
nor of Pakistan are helping things cool down by their competitive
grandstanding on the global stage. It is just as ridiculous for the
President of Pakistan to deny that the attacks on Bombay had no links
to Pakistan, as it is for the Indian foreign minister to demand that
Pakistan hand over a list of people including ex-militants from the
now totally irrelevant Khalistan movement as a response to the Bombay
attacks. Both governments are evading a historic opportunity to take
concrete and meaningful measures to conduct a joint investigation
into the kind of terrorism that ordinary people in both countries
suffer from. Unfortunately, the situation is worsened by the
continuing attrition of strident war talk by some television channels
and their irresponsible anchors in both India and in Pakistan. At
such times, we need more sane voices like what Lalita Ramdas
represents, on both sides of the India-Pakistan border.

regards,

Shuddha

`AMCHI MUMBAI’ – ‘OUR MUMBAI’ -  Many questions, some lessons,
  Lalita Ramdas – Village Bhaimala - Dec 2008

“Beware of the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the
citizenry into patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-
edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the
mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the
blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have
no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry, [who] infused with
fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights
unto the leader and gladly so. How will I know? For this I have done.
And I am Julius Caesar.”     William Shakespere

My mother tells me that at the age of three my favourite past time
was to be taken for a walk to the Gateway of India from Dhanraj Mahal
where we lived during the war years. Occasionally she would take me
into the Taj for a pastry and to talk to some of the Navy Uncles in
their white uniforms because I was missing Papa who was out at sea..
Some sixty five years later – settled in this village of Bhaimala in
Alibag Taluka – the magic of approaching the familiar skyline of the
Gateway and the Taj hotel by boat from Mandwa is still very special –
no matter how many times we have made that crossing. I wondered if
those boys who landed on the night  of the 26th, had ever seen the
magic of Mumbai from seaward during the day – and if they had a
moment of doubt at what they had set out to demolish.

Ah Bombay, we had seen the best of times, and today we are seeing the
worst of times – not just for Mumbai, India and Indians, but for our
neighbours, especially for the people of Pakistan – who,like us, are
victims of the legacy of colonization and a bitter partition which
gave us our independence.  Bombay has been the port city which has
been home to the  Indian Navy for the longest time, and as  daughter
and  wife of two navy persons [both of whom rose to head the service
as the first and the eleventh  Navy Chiefs,] , Mumbai was my city
too. I wept tears of disbelief, anguish and anger as I watched the
images of the wanton attack on so many symbols of our growing up
years in South Bombay. I too shared the pride and relief of  many as
the commandos and police finally ended the siege; and I too  mourned
the tragic loss of innocent lives from all walks of life. Such a
waste and for little apparent gain.

Today we are seeing a new group of Mumbaikers on the streets – coming
from the class that has typically kept aloof from activism and any
political involvement. This is a good thing in many ways, it is
important that people feel strongly enough to get out and make their
voices heard. as they  cry out `Enough is Enough’. It is important
also to understand what has changed this time and what it is that
they are saying enough to.

Yes we the people DO need to raise our voices to protest – but let us
be clear about what we are protesting for and against. Yes we the
people have a right to demand that the state be responsible for our
security and that politicians be held accountable. And yes, let us
never forget that this right of demanding accountability and
protesting its absence is one that is fundamental to every citizen in
this democracy – regardless of our religion, language, caste or
community, our social or economic status or our political
affiliations. This has been guaranteed to us by the Constitution of
India.

In the last few days I have read with mixed feelings a wide range of
emails and news items from across the country as also watched the
invariably dramatized images and analyses in the electronic media..
It is impossible not to be affected one way or other. I have also
received several phone calls from friends – several of them Muslim –
worried about what is happening, feeling the pressure to stand up and
be counted among the `patriotic’ Indians; a pressure that we non-
Muslims do not have to face.

One of the most disturbing mails in my inbox today was entitled `We
Need Leaders like this’ – an account extolling recent actions by John
Howard the former Australian PM, as he lashed out at Muslims in
Australia in an effort to pre-empt `Islamic terror’ in his country.
And  at the end of the harangue he tells them that they either accept
the laws and customs of the land or avail of the Right to Leave. We
are asked to circulate this widely – with the message that this is
what needs to be done in India too. The implications are chilling and
it took time to sink in . In a sense it was not surprising – the slow
communalization of Indian society has been taking place insidiously
over decades. Only now is it being stated so explicitly. While the
right wing have consciously pushed this agenda, the others who flaunt
their secular credentials  have also virtually allowed this sub-text
to go unchallenged.. It seems that the People of India will need to
ask ourselves what kind of society we really want and the answers
might be very different depending on who we are, where we live, how
we live, and if we feel we belong.

The Extract below, from a piece by Suddhabrata Sengupta in a Punjabi
website called WICHAAR, sums up the problem succinctly.
“While the agents of the attack in Bombay may have been genuinely
motivated by their own twisted understanding of Islam, they have
demonstrated that they have no hesitation in putting millions of
Indian Muslims in harms way by exposing them to the risk of a long
drawn out of spiral of retaliation. We need to underscore that they
killed 40 innocent, unarmed Muslims (roughly 20 % of the current
total casualty figures of 179) while they unleashed their brutal
force on Bombay. The terrorists who authored their deaths cannot by
any stretch of imagination be seen as partisans or friends of Islam.
They are the enemy of us all, and especially of those amongst us who
happen to be Muslims, for they jeopardize the safety and security of
all Muslims in India by unleashing yet another wave of suspicion and
prejudice against ordinary Muslims.”
In the course of a long and thought provoking piece which he calls
the DEBRIS OF TERROR, Sengupta also speaks of the ironies and also
the utter senselessness of this attack:

““No redemptive, just, honourable or worthwhile politically
transformatory objectives can be met, or even invoked, by attacking a
mass transit railway station, a restaurant, a hotel or a hospital.
The holding of hostages in a centre of worship and comfort for
travellers cannot and does not challenge any form of the state
oppression anywhere.

By helping to unleash calls for war, by eliminating (unwittingly
perhaps) those that have been investigating the links between fringe
far right groups and home grown terror, by provoking once again the
demand for stronger and more lethal legislation for preventive
detention (in the form of a revived or resuscitated POTA), these
terrorists have done statist and authoritarian politics in India its
biggest favour.”

And it is for these reasons that it is so critical in the present
context that we as responsible citizens of India, exercise both
reason and restraint, before we impetuously demand carpet bombing of
Pakistan;  self righteously refuse to pay taxes, contemptuously
dismiss those who advocate people to people contact with our
neighbours, and in the same breath, accuse Indian Muslims of being in
some way the fifth columnists in our midst who have to demonstrate
their patriotism and loyalty at every moment.

Over the years, through the course of my own work with human rights,
peace, justice and environment, it is increasingly clear that the
issue of loyalty or disloyalty , patriotism or lack of it, comes in
many forms and is to be found at many levels. Patriotism is certainly
not the exclusive preserve of one class or one community. We would do
well to scrutinise the actions and allegiances of many who call
themselves nationalists, who demand and have control over wealth and
privilege; but who do not hesitate to plunder our forests, take over
our fields and homes for private profit, displace millions from their
homes, and then scream for financial help when the markets drop!

A TIME TO ASK THE DIFFICULT QUESTIONS………………..

Yes – it is highly likely that today’s military establishment in
Pakistan has encouraged and trained terrorists , but will going to
war solve the core issues between us? Three wars down the road we are
no closer to solving many of the intractable issues between us,
including Kashmir.- so what should the road ahead look like?

Is the phenomenon of terrorism peculiar to Islam alone? Should we be
going back in time and history to look at guerilla movements and the
use of force by the State? Struggles for self-determination? What
have been the common factors that have led people to take up armed
struggle? What about those millions of decent god fearing Muslims who
have no truck with terror, terrorism or Jihad – except in its real
interpretation of a struggle within each individual..

Perhaps the phrase `enough is enough’ should be applied more
rigorously to our own track record of violence – often genocidal -
across the sub-continent – starting with partition.

  The birth of Bangladesh was rooted in a basic ethnic and linguistic
division among Muslims of East and West Pakistan……The Tamils and
Sinhalas are locked in ethnic battles in a predominantly Buddhist
country; Nepal has struggled long with violence and poverty but has
also replaced  Monarchy with a Maoist government in a predominantly
Hindu country.

For many of us personally the carnage and bloodshed of 1984 following
the assassination of Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, when thousands of
innocent Sikhs were slaughtered by their `Hindu’ neighbours as the
state stood by and watched, was a kind of  wake up call. But 1984
also brought out the best in a whole generation of young and old
citizens of the capital who dropped their work and their studies and
came together in a spontaneous movement called Nagrik Ekta Manch
where hundreds of us worked days and nights  to record the gruesome
catalogue of barbarity which we never thought we would see in our
lifetime. We testified in commissions, we filed petitions – but the
guilty were never brought to book. Never again we vowed would we
permit  state complicity in the killing of thousands of innocents .

And then came the demolition of the Babri Masjid in 1992 –
perpetrated by one set of politicians while the  others who ran the
state stood by and watched. To do nothing is to acquiesce? The Mumbai
blasts and killings in 1992 – 93 were almost predictable. Who can sit
in judgement or foretell the consequences of the  anger  that could
have taken roots in  - 1984 and 1992 – especially when the Guilty
were never punished?

And then it happened again to the Muslims in Gujarat in 2002; And we
still did not take to the streets to protest and the architects of
that genocide are today’s rulers and favoured corporate destination..
Beyond community and religion there is more to remember in this vast
and ancient land where there are few records and no one cares to
recount  the atrocities and injustice that  have been visited upon
the dalits and the tribals over time immemorial by the genteel,
cultured upper castes in this Incredible India of ours; This
continues in the India Shining of the 21st Century.

How can we continue to accept the sheer ferocity and violence and
torture indulged in by various formations of para military  on the
people of the North East, and Kashmir to this day.  Can they really
be expected to love us?

And have any of us at any time ever questioned what is being
perpetrated on our own people by the state in the name of Salwa Judum
to fight the Maoists or Naxals – who are also protesting injustice,
oppression and years of neglect and corruption ?

So when we now come out to raise our voices – let us remember to
protest first of all the many things we need to put right in our own
politics, our social evils, our corruption, our inability [or
unwillingness?] to provide the basic needs for nearly 50% of our
people. These are the real factors that underlie violence.

I ask myself over and over again as I see the pictures of  the lone
terrorist to be caught alive, what drives them to such acts – is this
the ultimate indictment of our failure as a people and a state, to
create meaningful work and opportunities for youth across the region?

So before we spread more suspicion and prejudice, let us stop and
think – what really needs to be done. Perhaps we need to raise our
voices in favour of continuing to dialogue  with Pakistan and its
admittedly weak and fledgling elected civilian government?  Thanks to
the tireless efforts of Track II and Track III efforts over a couple
of decades, today we have a constituency within Pakistan that wants
friendship with India and vice versa. Certainl this helped in
creating a basis and demand for democracy across the border. Any
senseless action at this time can be catastrophic – especially since
we are both nuclear states. So can we bear in mind that we are not
against Pakistan but against the elements there who instigate and
promote terrorists – and yes the pressure on them should be tough and
relentless.

Today it is imperative that we work together to say NO to War
Mongering – on the basis that this action against an innocent Indian
state gives us the right to attack Pakistan.

It is also imperative that we fight our instinct for Islamophobia – a
readiness to say we understand everything about the motives and
drives of the terrorists by pointing to their `Muslim’ identity – and
the other myth that the Quran sanctions violence against non-
believers – and that is how we explain the roots of the attacks in
Mumbai..

SEEKING SOLUTIONS

If we are serious about addressing terror then the only way is for us
in both India and Pakistan – and the rest of the region – to reach
out, work with each other – to confront, to challenge, and to
mobilize the power of people to defeat the forces of violence and
terror be they state or non-state actors.

For a start, in India – let us demand an immediate review and
implementation of the various Commissions of Enquiry on the Police
Force and their Status and Role. If this can be spearheaded from
across the country – it will be difficult for the politician to
postpone it any more. The issue of auditing political party funds and
the present electoral process is another key area which has led to
many vitiations of all norms.

Perhaps it is also a moment when we need to be looking in very
different directions to find ways of working together with our
neighbours – be it Pak India problems, or with Bangla desh or Sri
Lanka. In this era where the concerns of Climate Change and Global
warming are upper most among the potential threats to peoples and
geographic regions around the world – maybe we can look at creative
ways to engage with each other on ecology, on our shared maritime and
marine reserves, on coastal questions, and water.There are so many
pressing problems for which collective solutions need to be found –
and there is nothing like working together on mutual problems to
develop a better understanding of each others strengths and
weaknesses. Finally, with India being the Big Brother in this region
– there is a bigger onus of responsibility on us to take the
constructive initiatives.
It will soon be Id - a time for celebration and introspection – may
it also be a time to work for Peace. In closing I want to share with
you the comments of  Bharathi, who has worked in our village home for
over 15 years . After watching the endless TV channels and their
often sensational projection and coverage of the agony of Mumbai –
she turned to me and said simply and with no doubt in her voice “Bai
– Athank tho Athank hai na? Wo kaisa Hindu ya Mussalman ho saktha? ‘
Surely Terror is  terror ? – how can it  be Hindu terror or Muslim
terror?”
In her simple view of the world – there is a deep and profound sense
of both tolerance and respect for humanity. Over the years she who
never knew of a world outside her own village reality, has grown to
love and welcome into our home our Pakistani son-in-law and members
of his family; our Sri Lankan nephew in law; my two Muslim sisters –
married to my brother and cousin respectively; my niece and her
English husband; and most recently our  African-American son-in-law.
She has interacted and understands the issues affecting  the tribal
and dalit activists with whom yet another son-law works. And she
treats them all with the same smiling warmth and dignity. To me she
embodies all that is valuable and enduring in this sub-continent and
for which I am eternally grateful because at the end of the day, this
is what sustains and nurtures our weary spirits and will, Inshallah,
take us into a different tomorrow..

			Lalita Ramdas from Bhaimala Village, Alibag – across the harbour
from Mumbai, today Sunday Dec 7 2008