[Reader-list] Is Kasab a Pakistani?

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 24 18:05:08 IST 2008

"I have already stated on record that Kasab's name is not on the NADRA
records. And NADRA is an organisation which keeps the record of all
Pakistani nationals."

Advisor to Pakistan Prime Minister, Rehman Malik

Please follow the full story below.

Best

Taha

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/kasab-pleads-pak-for-legal-aid-as-custody-extended/81259-3.html
Published on *Wed, Dec 24, 2008

**New Delhi:* A desperate Ajmal Kasab - the lone terrorist captured alive
after the 26/11 terror strike in Mumbai - has once again sought the help of
the Pakistan High Commission for a lawyer, but Pakistan is still refusing to
accept his nationality.

On Wednesday, Kasab told the magistrate who was presiding over his custody
hearing that he wanted to contact the Pakistan High Commission for his legal
defence.

This is the second time that Kasab has asked Pakistan for legal aid - more
than sufficient proof that he is a Pakistan national. The first time that he
had done this was when he had written a letter to the Pakistan High
Commission, a few days ago.

Kasab has also been booked in the case of hijacking a Skoda car near Girgaum
Chowpatti and fleeing in the same car along with another terrorist and
remanded to police custody till January 6, 2009 by Additional Chief
Metropolitan Magistrate NN Shrimangle on Wednesday.

In his letter he had claimed that he and the other terrorists who had been
killed in the attacks were Pakistani and had sought a meeting with the
Pakistan High Commission. However, Islamabad did not pay heed to his
request, saying he was not a Pakistani.

The letter asked Pakistani officials to claim the body of his fellow
terrorist Ismail Khan's body and give it an Islamic burial. In it, Kasab
also named Zaki-ur-rehman Lakhvi, believed to be the man who lured him into
terrorism, Lashkar-e-Toiba chief Hafiz Sayeed and member Mohammad Kahafa as
his trainers.

Pakistan is currently examining the contents of Kasab's letter and is
expected to make a formal announcement on his status on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, Kasab will stay in police custody till January 6.

Advisor to Pakistan Prime Minister, Rehman Malik has said that the truth
about Kasab's identity will be out as soon as the letter has been examined.

"If you get some accusations, there is always a process of elimination to
prove something or disapprove something. We have received a letter and we
are examining it> i have already stated on record that Kasab's name is not
on the NADRA records. And NADRA is an organisation which keeps the record of
all Pakistani nationals. So we are looking into it and whatever the truth
we'll bring to the notice of public," he said.

On being asked if he had asked the Interpol chief to tell India to give
evidence, Malik stated, "Why should I ask? I think the Interpol chief's
verdict should be final because he was himself present in India. We draw the
attention of the international community to this."