[Reader-list] In RTO, a licence for corruption

taraprakash taraprakash at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 06:35:42 IST 2008

Now, I agree with you there for sure. Corruption is really a big problem of
the country. I don't read much discussion on this kind of corruption on this
list. In fact corruption does not seem to be part of any intellectual
discourse these days.
Still I don't consider corruption to be a good enough reason to outrightly
reject this plan. As your mail suggested it is possible to make fake
passports and driving licences but still the driving license and passport
regime is on and we can't think of an alternative to it. Moreover, as far as
I know, it is not a norm but an aberration. And finally I believe it is
safer to have multiple (even fake) identities than to have none. Such an
identity card regime will be useful to remind the state of the existence of
the forgotten multitudinous citizenry.

Regards