[Reader-list] In RTO, a licence for corruption

taraprakash taraprakash at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 01:31:52 IST 2008

Dear Taha. Thanks for clarifying the difference between pahcan and shinakht. To my mind nishani comes from nishan (a mark of identity). The identity, as you have been suggesting, has a very wide semantic field however, for the issue at hand, we can do without much of what the entire field entails. When the sign id card serves as the signifier for an individual, the former serves as a nishani. I remember we used to have four library cards during our college days. That meant we could not be issued more than 4 books. Very often four books were not enough for our needs. But then there were students who did not use their library cards that often. So you would borrow their cards. But the rule was that if you were borrowing books on behalf of someone else, you had to show his/her college id card. There identity worked as nishani (proof) of the fact that x had authorized you to borrow books on x's card.

You are right that it is not correct to translate nishani as identity, but nishani can definitely be translated as proof of someone's identity. In a plane journey you think you should know the guy sitting next to you. You remember that he is a poet but you are wondering which one. You have always confused Gulzar and Javed Akhtar with each other. You don't want to offend the guy by misidentifying him as the other. Then the guy takes out a book from his bag that has Javed Akhtar's name as the author and his photo on the book jacket. This book, hence, is the nishani or the proof of Javed Akhtar's identity.

Having said that I must thank you for considering my perspectives worthy enough to respond. Sadly I won't be able to write more mails on the topic, primarily because net accessibility will remain sporradic to me for coming few weeks. Secondly and more importantly I don't have anything of significance to say on the topic.
Before concluding I must state that even though the number assigned to us by the state towards our registration will be arbitrary, as you suggested, yet the relationship between the signifier, the national identity card, and the signnified, to whom it has been issued, will not be arbitrary as in the case of a Sassurean sign. Again, I need the card so that in the event of my getting killed by the state apparatuses, they will have less chance to negate my erstwhile existence. In the case of my being declared dead by my relatives, as happened with several people in UP, I should be able to show my identity card that has my name and my photograph, to prove that I am actually alive and those who have misappropriated my property are thugs. The identity card may not help anyone economically, it *can* save us from being harmed socially anb politically.
If the state has failed in its duties, as your examples prove; like not being able to issue voter id cards for years, issuing multiple driving licenses to one individual or issuing an id card for someone who does not exist, it is not good for the citizens. The state should be forced to address these issues. I still believe that the citizens should ask for a multipurpose id card at birth which might be updated when the citizen becomes adult 18/21. The state should not force it on the citizens, the citizens must force the state to issue them. The state should not be allowed to use resource crunch as an excuse. Most citizens will be willing to pay for it if they don't have to pay separately for a passport and other such id cards separately. I can't say about other states, India definitely is financially sound enough to pay on behalf of its below poverty line citizens. That the state is not ideal and it cannot change is the statement of the pessimist. Progressive thinking has no scope for pessimism.

Thanks
TaraPrakash